Comments on Ping on new additions

babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Sep 06, 2009 - 4:00 AM:

Wordpress has the facility to ping various sites upon an update. You can also choose which sites you wish to auto ping. For instance, the recommended is:

http://rpc.pingomatic.com
http://www.blogpeople.net/servlet/weblogUpdates
http://ping.myblog.jp
http://ping.bloggers.jp/rpc/
http://bblog.com/ping.php

There is also a XML site map generator that also pings Google, Bing and Ask.com.

I feel that this is one of the main the reasons why wordpress sites are reasonably easy to rank well.

Is it at all possible to get wsnlinks to do this? I have been shown www.quietearth.us/articles/...-your-own-blog-ping-in-php and don't know if that helps.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Sep 06, 2009 - 2:48 PM:

Pinging a bunch of blog sites as you list only makes sense for blogs. Does anybody use WSN as a blog?

A ping to google for WSN's sitemap after generating is simple enough, I just have it commented out right now because it slows down the page for no real purpose -- if you submit your sitemap to google the ping won't make any difference. I'll consider enabling it though with a short timeout.

Other than that, I don't understand what would be pinged when for what purpose with what data.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Sep 07, 2009 - 12:36 AM:

It may surprise you that in Wordpress's advancement a lot of sites use it for a lot more than just a blog, but they all still use the ping and it works fine.

If you remember, I use WSN for a lot more than just a links directory. I use it as a cms, rather in the same way that the majority of people are using wordpress now.

So whilst it may not make sense to you it works just find for information and other types of sites. I have found my wordpress sites (they are not blogs as such) get ranked higher and quicker, and can only put it down to the pings. Whilst I like wordpress, there are some things that I prefer wsn for so, for me, it would be ideal if wsn had a ping facility that could be turned on or off.
webflair
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 187
Total Comments: 465
Posted Sep 08, 2009 - 1:30 PM:

I agree...

I do not currently use WSN as a blog, but I would like to, for the following reasons...

I think WSN KB could easily be turned into a blog, with all of the fnctionality of wordpress, less the pings and trackbacks.

I am used to working with WSN templates and toplists, I can create my own functionality rather than relying on widgets and plugins created by people I have never heard of.

I beleive WSN has the capability to offer better onpage SEO in the long run.

Being able to seemlessly connect a blog with a directory, toplists and all, is the perfect answer for me.

Adding adsense to a WSN KB Blog could be done a lot better than in Wordpress, as wordpress adsense plugins (that allow you to add an ad to a post) are untidy.

You probably think it not worthwhile to develop a blog script paul, as trying to compete with the huge popularity of Wordpress would be an uphill struggle, but as far as I an see, trackpacks and pings are the only things that are really missing from KB, apart from a few template changes.

Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 10, 2009 - 9:55 PM:

I can't find any information in google on what a blog ping actually is -- that is, how to make one or what one looks like. I know network pings but these are not network pings.

A search does say that people can get banned for pinging too much too quickly, which is likely to happen if you have a feed or approve a bunch of listings at once, presuming you want this to ping when a new listing is added.

I can also see some ridiculously complicated long scripts whose sole purpose is to blog ping. If that's what it takes then it's not happening here.

Again, a google sitemap ping is simple. A blog ping is apparently something totally different.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Sep 11, 2009 - 12:21 AM:

That link that I gave was of no help then?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 11, 2009 - 11:12 PM:

That solution is GPL-licensed so I can't use it directly. I would learn from it except it depends on php's xmlrpc extension, which isn't enabled by default, so each customer would need either an accommodating host or root server access and the patience to learn how to compile a bunch of stuff. Also, php.net/xmlrpc says "This extension is EXPERIMENTAL. The behaviour of this extension -- including the names of its functions and anything else documented about this extension -- may change without notice in a future release of PHP. Use this extension at your own risk."
kaspr

Total Topics: 13
Total Comments: 22
kaspr
Posted Oct 10, 2009 - 3:22 PM:

it is being used by other boultin Script as Addin , since I post within one hour will over search engins , I belive WSN deserve it
wink

see attached

Attached Files:
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Oct 10, 2009 - 11:31 PM:

I found an LGPL-licensed php class called blog-x-ping which should handle the actual pinging. Still needs a system to space out the pings so they don't slow down your pages too much, and a spot to enter the sites to ping. If anyone wants that, I can do it as a custom project for $175 (estimated delivery time of a week).
Paul
developer

Paul
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 11, 2009 - 1:54 AM:

Additional info: this still requires having http://phpxmlrpc.sourceforge.net/ installed, but that seems to be all PHP so not an issue. I can't include something that big but default but I can load it for you individually.
Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 04, 2009 - 4:11 PM:

This is available in 5.1.11 now, thanks to babrees for funding it. The required part of the library turned out to be small enough to include in the distributed product.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.