david
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 91
Total Comments: 305
david
Posted Oct 03, 2008 - 10:36 AM:

Hi Paul,

When I found the errors in www.webmastersite.net/forum...id=8442&page=last#lastpost, some of the errors came up only because I set the debug info to be shown to the admin, and then while the redirect pages were showing these errors I had to quickly select all the text on the page and copy paste it into a text document, just so I can go through it. I know that I could have set the redirect time to a longer period, but to keep changing that just for these debug seconds, is a hassle.

Also, I have a big site with a ton of queries. so even if I copy the debug info into a text file, it is not possible to find an error. I have to do a text search for the word 'error'. smiling face that's how I found one of the errors in the place where I didn't think I'd have one (the site showed no problems, but the error was present).

So my feature request is: a debug mode that ignores redirects and ALWAYS shows the debug info and IF it finds the word 'error' in the output, it stores that complete DEBUG info somewhere in the admin panel. Or just plain and simple ignore everything and just show the debug info and highlight the word 'error' on it.

Or better yet, it's a mode that if turned on, runs in the background and doesn't show the debug info onscreen, but runs it and stores the debug info IF it finds an error, then notifies you in the admin panel.

Thanks
David
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Oct 07, 2008 - 2:28 AM:

Or better yet, it's a mode that if turned on, runs in the background and doesn't show the debug info onscreen, but runs it and stores the debug info IF it finds an error

That's what it does... except for a few non-breaking mysql warnings that somehow don't trigger a PHP-level error get missed. And it's at the location, not the admin panel (or if suppression is on, it sends an email).
david
Forum Regular

david
Posted Oct 07, 2008 - 2:34 AM:

Hmmm... so 'suppression' does that? Cool.

You know why I didn't know this? It's because there is no single, comprehensive place on your site to read up on all the things released in updates. The single line entries in the updates, listing what was included, are good if one of those issues was mine on the forum and I know what it relates to. Otherwise, sometimes it's hard to know what some new things/features are and what they do, and how to use them. smiling face

Thanks
david
Forum Regular

david
Posted Oct 07, 2008 - 2:43 AM:

2 things:

1. this is the manual for the Debug section:
"Suppress all errors for non-admins - This is the ultimate anti-debug. It prevents all errors, even fatal errors, from being displayed... the page will simply be rendered as far as is possible without php complaining about not being able to do some of the things it was told to do. When logged in as admin you'll still see errors as normal, but this will prevent you from noticing any errors that only show up as a guest."

That doesn't say anything about sending the admin an email about the errors, or showing them somewhere, other than at the exact page you are on as an admin and see the error.

2. what are Strict modes in the debug level?

Thanks
David
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Oct 09, 2008 - 3:50 AM:

Edited kb.

The strict modes are really just for me, ignore them.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.