All categories on one page?

Comments on All categories on one page?

yosmc

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 5
Total Comments: 12
yosmc
Posted Feb 12, 2005 - 12:08 AM:

I would like to display all category names and the corresponding links on a single page. I assume that others have done it before, and maybe someone can point me to a template/hack that would save me some work? Thanks a bunch!
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Feb 13, 2005 - 3:25 AM:

If you have a significant number of links, that's sure to timeout the page. You could probably fit more by putting all links in one category, skipping the main page directly to that category, and using link types as though they were categories. That would still probably not be effective with more than 100-200 links though (not to mention your visitors are never going to find anything on such a page).
yosmc

yosmc
Posted Feb 13, 2005 - 7:35 AM:

Well the problem doesn't seem to be with the number of links, but with the number of categories. The only solution I found until now is, for 10 categories on 1 page, to simply include the same script 10 times. That already causes a significant delay (and using mysql_pconnect doesn't seem to make a big difference).

I'm wondering which tasks take the most time in the script. I'm excited by the the functionality and all the things that *can* be done with it - at the same time, for each individual task, the majority of them may not be needed, and it would be cool to know which parts can be tossed out for the benefit of higher speed. Basically, just looking up a few links in a database probably isn't that what takes longest.

Having said that, this is actually a feature request of mine - being able to choose to display more than one category (+links!) on the same page. Because if it's scripted into wsnlinks, then it's indeed only a matter of the number of total links on a page, and the number of categories shouldn't make a noticable difference.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Feb 16, 2005 - 2:19 PM:

Include? I don't know what you mean by that. To show links from a category you'd use a toplist.

Having a large number of toplists on a page will slow it down vastly, of course. That's just the nature of it. That's why I mentioned you could put everything in one category and just use link types as though they were categories -- that wouldn't involve any toplists and would be fast (and least until you're talking about a large number of links).
yosmc

yosmc
Posted Feb 16, 2005 - 5:59 PM:

Hm - I am afraid I have no idea how I would use toplists to display all categories and all links on one page. Any hint would be appreciated. smiling face

Your suggestion to put all links in a category and distinguish them by link type sounds decent, but then I wouldn't be able to get a category title for each section, would I?

Thanks again!
yosmc

yosmc
Posted Feb 22, 2005 - 7:29 PM:

Could Paul or anyone else please point me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated - thanks!
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Feb 28, 2005 - 2:44 PM:

I am afraid I have no idea how I would use toplists to display all categories and all links on one page.

Remove any pre-existing toplists from the template, then use your toplist generator to make a toplist of links where catid={CATID}, numbered {CATNUMBER}. Place this inside your category display area.

But again, you're likely to find the page timing out or your web host screaming for mercy. Using link types and skip to category to do it would be more efficient (though still slow).

hen I wouldn't be able to get a category title for each section, would I?

If you're not mixing link types, surely you can put any text you like in your template for each type.

Really though, it seems to me that a one-page links page would be easily handled through simple HTML without using a script.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.