WSN 3.3.5

Comments on WSN 3.3.5

cos

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 5
Total Comments: 10
cos
Posted Feb 08, 2006 - 12:43 PM:

Notice that WSN 3.3.5 is out but what is difference between this on and 3.3.4.

Just asking as would like to know if its worth doing the upgrade or do I just need to upload a few files in stead

Thanks for your time
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Feb 08, 2006 - 1:28 PM:

All the things mentioned on the forum as fixed and some not mentioned on the forum. Too many to keep track of. 3.3.6, likely out today, will have a bunch more.
capitaine
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 94
Total Comments: 272
Posted Feb 08, 2006 - 5:07 PM:

Paul I really think you should make an effort to track these changes... it really helps us to know what has changed, and also if you could highlight any template changes...

I know this is not your style, but ....
zippo
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 48
Total Comments: 166
zippo
Posted Feb 08, 2006 - 9:00 PM:

capitaine, I'm sure there are exceptions, but the assorted scripts I have licensed are all maintained in a similar way.

I think it's the nature of the beast (scripts) since modifications/fixes can be done at any time and tested so rapidly it'd be more work trying to formally document all that than it might take to just do it. I'm sure anything that is dramatic will be documented somewhere and handled in the upgrade script if need be.

Like you, I like to see changelogs and copious details of what an upgrade is all about to decide if I need to change and get an idea of how much work it's going to take to do it. However since I've began licensing PHP or other scripts a few years back I have had to rework my expectations of such things with scripts.

The small amount of poking around I have done in the PHP has shown that there are notes in there. Perhaps the comparison tool(s) mentioned might help to ferret out some of the details of what is new, via code comments and such.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Feb 09, 2006 - 1:31 PM:

The bug reports forum exists to document most of it. The rest of the stuff would take considerably longer to document than to do, and you'd still likely have no idea what I was talking about when I tried to describe it. Then there's the fact that some of the file changes are actually for WSN Forum, not Links, and the changes simply appear in Links as it's synched to Forum.

Template changes are covered by upgrade instructions telling you which require overwriting (as you can see in the readme, no template changes required in 3.3.6), and of course the instruction to use file comparison if desired. Optional template changes, of which there are a ton in 3.3.6, are not listed because most people won't want to do it.
cos

Total Topics: 5
Total Comments: 10
cos
Posted Feb 09, 2006 - 1:39 PM:

Chhers Paul

Keep the great work up as this a cracking script and Ive tried a few

Just need to update my 6 sites now grin

If you ever have some spare time the sponser links side of things could be made idiot proof as Im a bit dim and it would be lovely just to select > price > time span and go

Cheers againshocked
capitaine
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 94
Total Comments: 272
Posted Feb 09, 2006 - 4:34 PM:

Hi Paul what d'you mean by Optional template changes, of which there are a ton in 3.3.6, are not listed because most people won't want to do it.

can you give an example as I'm not clear on this...
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Feb 10, 2006 - 7:44 PM:

Optional template changes are verything that shows up if you do a file comparison between the 3.3.5 and 3.3.6 templates. HTML validation corrections in this case. You do not need to make those changes, everything works fine without them, hence it's not in the upgrade instructions.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.