Comments on in SUBCATEGORIES

gemini
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 54
Total Comments: 197
gemini
Posted Sep 09, 2006 - 4:02 PM:

I'm using {CATACTASLINK} in my URLs for associated (sub)categories to avoid redirect. And somehow it works on one page and doesn't work on another and they use the same template.

http://www.ibsteam.net/wsnlinks/Real_Estate_USA - scroll down to South Carolina - mouseover the subcategory "New Construction" - it shows wsnlinks/Real_Estate_USA/South_Carolina/New_Construction - when you go into South Carolina the New Construction category has the correct URL which is being used from {CATACTASLINK}. Also if you mouseover other subcats in the Real_Estate_USA under South Carolina - you'll see they have id numbers in the URLs and if you go to the SC category and mouseover on them (on the top right) - you'll see different urls which indicated in actaslink column.

Here is my code:

<!-- BEGIN SUBSUB -->
<IF {CATACTASLINK}>
<a href="{CATACTASLINK}" class="categoryname">{CATNAME}</a>,
<OTHERWISE>
<a href="index.php?action=displaycat&catid={CATID}" class="categoryname">{CATNAME}</a>,
</IF>
<!-- END SUBSUB -->

the same condition is being used for the regular categories. It doesn't work on Real_Estate_USA page, but works on South Carolina. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Sep 10, 2006 - 9:47 AM:

Where is a URL that doesnsn't work? I tried a bunch and they all look normal. Link?

Also, why in the world is {CATACTASLINK} involved? The purpose of it is to redirect to another site but everything I can find appears to be a normal category within the site.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
Posted Sep 12, 2006 - 9:45 AM:

Sorry, couldn't reply earlier.
The reason I'm trying to use {CATACTASLINK} because I want to avoid redirects. Those links are getting indexed and I'm getting different URLs in search results. There is no reason of having redirect and two URLs for one page when I'm not actually moving content from one page to another... it just doesn't make much sense to me. Why redirect and not just a plain link to the actual page? That's why I desided to use catactaslink.

Anyway, on this page http://www.ibsteam.net/wsnlinks/Real_Estate_USA
under SC category let's take
New Construction - ibsteam.net/wsnlinks/Real_Estate_USA/South_Carolina/New_Construction
North Myrtle Beach, SC - ibsteam.net/wsnlinks/700

if I enter into the SC category - I have the same links with the URLS that I want:
New Construction - ibsteam.net/wsnlinks/New_Construction/South_Carolina
North Myrtle Beach,SC (on the right hand side) - ibsteam.net/wsnlinks/links/detail/328

I'm using the same code in both cases but get different URLs

<IF {CATACTASLINK}>
<a href="{CATACTASLINK}" class="categoryname">{CATNAME}</a>,
<OTHERWISE>
<a href="index.php?action=displaycat&catid={CATID}" class="categoryname">{CATNAME}</a>,
</IF>
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 13, 2006 - 11:43 AM:

If you don't fill in the 'act as link' there are no redirects. If you're not trying to link to external sites there's no reason to fill it in.

North Myrtle Beach,SC (on the right hand side) - ibsteam.net/wsnlinks/links/detail/328

Why are you directing a category to a link details page?

Anyhow I still see nothing unusual except that odd choice of yours about the pages you're mentioning.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
Posted Sep 15, 2006 - 6:43 AM:

Despite the reasons I have to weird linking, shouldn't {CATACTASLINK} between BEGIN REGULAR CATEGORIES and END REGULAR CATEGORIES output the URL I placed itn the actaslink field? My point was - it doesn't - in the categroies loop this code returns second choice in the condition I mentioned in my previous post. Outside of the loop, the same code returns the first choice for the same categories. Are you following me?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 17, 2006 - 11:53 AM:

It's not supposed to, but it's a reasonable suggestion for future versions if that's what you mean.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
Posted Sep 17, 2006 - 1:49 PM:

All right smiling face If you make a note and may be fix this in the future - would same some heache smiling face Thanks, Paul!
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.