Comments on # Characters allowed in URL

babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Apr 17, 2008 - 10:14 AM:

I am trying to input a very long url, but when I save the link it cuts the url short.

Is there a limit on number of characters? I guess there is, so, can I change this?

kaspr

Total Topics: 13
Total Comments: 22
kaspr
Posted Apr 17, 2008 - 4:28 PM:

what i know the things effecting URL is the number of link title characters , in admin panel go to
Settings >> Links >> " Maximum characters to allow in link title:" and increase it
I hope this will help.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Apr 21, 2008 - 4:16 PM:

The title characters don't relate to the URL. With a 50 char limit on my titles, I can submit this URL with no problem: www.gdsfd.com/?asdasdasdasd...f2gfdfgdfgdfgdfwedontcutme

You need to give me an example of what doesn't work.
babrees
Expert

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Apr 23, 2008 - 1:46 AM:

Paul wrote:

You need to give me an example of what doesn't work.

http://scripts.affiliatefuture.com/AFClick.asp?af...

yes, I realise this is VERY long! In fact there are 278 characters in this link but on saving it cuts the url down to 255 characters and of course the link then just goes to a page not found error.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Apr 23, 2008 - 2:28 PM:

It only shows about 40 characters on the forum in your post there. Maybe you're using WYSIWYG and that has something to do with it in your browser?

Anyhow, 255 characters is supposed to be the maximum length of a URL according to the HTTP specs I believe... so it's quite possible that it's your web browser which doesn't accept longer URLs. Can you write it out in plain HTML and click it? If not, that means your browser doesn't support it (which isn't really a browser problem, since >255 doesn't match the spec).
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.