Google Webmaster Tools - Issues
Duplicate Meta Description and Title Tags

Comments on Google Webmaster Tools - Issues

locatewsn

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 5
Total Comments: 13
Posted Apr 04, 2009 - 4:45 PM:

I have some pages from my WSN-Links that Google defines as having duplicate meta description and title tags. My concern is Google reduces my page rank/ position because this. Some SEO - search engine optimization help please.

My WSN Link Directory:
http://www.locateart.com/partner_directory/

Google Webmaster Tools
www.google.com/webmasters/#...0-biz1-all&utm_campaign=en

I have gone through the knowledge base and forum looking for template variables I can add that would make these tags unique. I have not been able to figure what variables work with these pages since it is not obvious. Hopefully someone can make some suggestion, or if someone already knows what variables I can place in the page description and page titles I would be thankful. I also need a little advise how to add conditional statement that I can add to make the variables only appear on the needed pages.

WSN-Links Manual Template Variable Intro:
scripts.webmastersite.net/w..._template_variables-9.html

Here are the pages that Google is reporting as duplicate:

Quantity 1261 duplicate page meta description (not all are listed these are a sample list listed by Google):
www.locateart.com/partner_d...php?action=profile&id=1178
www.locateart.com/partner_d...k.php?action=detail&id=295
www.locateart.com/partner_d...tory/postreply.php?id=1382
www.locateart.com/partner_d...paintings2008com-1963.html
www.locateart.com/partner_d..._directory/vote.php?id=643
www.locateart.com/partner_d...eis_para_locacao-2046.html

Quantity 723 duplicate title tags (not all are listed these are a sample list listed by Google):
www.locateart.com/partner_d...php?action=profile&id=1178
www.locateart.com/partner_d...esc=asc&perpage=25&page=45
www.locateart.com/partner_d...esc=asc&perpage=15&page=78
www.locateart.com/partner_d...esc=asc&perpage=25&page=40
www.locateart.com/partner_d...irectory/trader.php?id=160

Thanks!!

Environment Stats:

Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
PHP 4.4.9 with zend engine 1.3.0
Loaded PHP Extensions: zip, xml, tokenizer, swf, standard, sockets, session, pspell, posix, pgsql, overload, mysql, mhash, mcrypt, mbstring, imap, gettext, gd, ftp, exif, curl, ctype, calendar, bcmath, zlib, pcre, openssl
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Apr 05, 2009 - 12:54 PM:

Having unique meta tags on every page is pretty absurd and pointless, but if you want to:
1) First make sure you've done scripts.webmastersite.net/w...wsnlinks/manual50.html#seo
2) For other pages, open the wrapper template and find
{MAINMETA}
{CATHEADERINFO}
. Replace with
<IF {CURRENTURLCONTAINS[vote.php]}>vote page meta tags
<ELSE IF {CURRENTURLCONTAINS[sitemap.php]}>sitemap page meta tags
... et cetera for each of the hundreds of different pages...
<ELSE>
{MAINMETA}
{CATHEADERINFO}
</IF>
webflair
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 187
Total Comments: 465
Posted Apr 05, 2009 - 3:03 PM:

Google DOSE NOT penalise you in any way for these duplicate tags. Thats not to say you you shouldn't change them anyway though.

Also, duplicate content has nothing to do with Pagerank... Pagerank is one factor of Googles algorithm, duplicate content filters are a completely different part of the algorithm, they are not connected in any way.

Also, you should note that duplicate content will only affect the page that has the duplicate content, not the whole site.

Millions of websites use the same description meta tags on multiple pages and still get great SE rank, however, you should always try to make sure your descrtiption meta tag matches the content of your page, as this can increase CTR because of the way google uses the tag to display info on your site in the SERPS. In WSN links you can use variables to make meta tags unique without need to write different meta tags for every page.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.