BradE
Beginner

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 4
BradE
Permissions for WSNLinks plugin
Posted Sep 15, 2018 - 12:39 PM:

What should the permissions be set at when I ftp the Links plugin to it's folder?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Sep 16, 2018 - 2:30 AM:

Whatever the standard permissions for your server setup are, is fine -- typically 644. Versions 1.1.0 and later don't need to be able to write to itself because it saves everything it needs to remember to the database (older versions did have to have write permissions to themselves). The wordpress directory(public_html if you've installed wordpress at the web root) does need to be writeable by the user PHP is running as, though, so that the plugin can create a subdirectory in it and extract WSN files there.

Most modern server setups automatically make everything writeable to PHP without changing any permissions, but if you're on an old setup that runs apache/php as a different user than your FTP/SSH/home user which created wordpress' directory then you'll need 777 permissions on the directory.
BradE
Beginner

BradE
Posted Sep 16, 2018 - 4:44 PM:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

I'm in a bind here.

1. I have a new hosting account, I FTP'd the WSNLinks plugin up to the WP plugin folder, activated the plugin and it all appears to be there. Bought my WSNLinks licence.

2. Two Things are wrong:
A. I can't get things like Site Configuration to save, Same for Add URL.
B. On the Add URL page is a WSN warning about Apache security settings.

3. I did contact SiteGround hosting. They claim that they tried turning off the security features and it still didn't work. Which made me think maybe I had permissions wrong.

4. I just want to get a working instance of WSNLinks running (the purpose of the site). I will gladly hire you to get this running or tell me to move to a different host. I've about reached the limit of my meager skills and like I say, I just want a working stable instance of WSNLinks.

Can you, please, advise me on how best to proceed?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 16, 2018 - 10:30 PM:

I've had other customers using siteground so I wouldn't think they'd be problematic. Whatever the problems are, it's not permissions.

Which specific settings on the site configuration page don't save changes when you save them? The cookie settings there are locked when using the WordPress plugin because the plugin needs to be able to predict that info.

Does "Add URL" mean Admin -> Links -> Add Links -> Add URL List? Can you send me the list of URLs you're using so I can test the same thing as you?

What's the exact text of the warning?

The quickest way I can help is if you send me access by filling out https://www.wsnlinks.com/inspection.html so I can see exactly what you're seeing.
BradE
Beginner

BradE
Posted Sep 17, 2018 - 8:35 AM:

Thanks again. Inspection Request sent.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 17, 2018 - 6:28 PM:

For the sake of anyone else reading this (replied to Brad via email already): It looks look all the problems were a result of http vs https autodetection going wrong due to unexpected differences in how the server reports it. I've applied the fix in the 10.2.38 release.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.