BeauS
Beginner

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 7
BeauS
Change from WordPress Plugin to Stand-alone Version
Posted Apr 14, 2021 - 3:36 PM:

We are looking for replacement software for Gossamer-Threads Links 1.11 used on our website https://radiolinks.net. Gossamer-Threads has been acquired by another company and it looks like their links project has been abandoned. I would like to try the WordPress plugin for WSN Links. However, if the WordPress plugin does not meet our needs, can we then switch to the stand-alone version without an additional charge?

-Beau
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Apr 15, 2021 - 8:11 AM:

To change from the plugin to standalone:
1) In the WSN, go to Admin -> Members -> Integration and select "none" to stop it from being integrated with wordpress.
2) Then at Admin -> Themes -> Manage Templates -> Wrapper, revert the wrapper to standard so that it'll no longer be calling in wordpress theme parts.
3) Then use FTP to delete the wordpress/wp-content/plugins/wsnlinksforwordpress.php file to remove the plugin -- don't use the wordpress admin panel, because removing that way would run an uninstaller of the WSN.
4) If you want to, delete the wordpress, carefully not deleting the subdirectory where WSN is installed.
5) Assuming you want to move the WSN up a level to be the base of the site, copy all the content from the WSN subdirectory to the higher level. It should automatically detect the changed URL on the next page load.

It's the same script just differently packaged, so you wouldn't need a new license. You don't need a new license to replace one WSN install with another at a different location either though, you just need to only have one currently active activated copy per owned license.

I had an import tool for Gossamer, but it probably hasn't been used in at least a decade so I have no idea if it still works: scripts.webmastersite.net/...ources/gtlinksimporter.zip
If it doesn't work and you need me to fix it up to work again, I'd estimate that'd be a $30 project.
BeauS
Beginner

BeauS
Posted Apr 15, 2021 - 9:11 AM:

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you replying to my post right away.

I will start working on this project by the weekend. The import of the flat file data will be crucial. I was successful years ago migrating data in mySQL so I am optimistic. I will try your importer first. My thinking is that using WordPress as a framework for the project offers other opportunities for developing a more robust experience for site visitors.

I look forward to working with you.

-BeauS
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Apr 15, 2021 - 11:45 AM:

Using phpmyadmin to export gossamer to a CSV and then using WSN to import the CSV should work, I'd think, as long as you don't have any members or comments to import. You might lose some fields that are in different formats where a direct import of the field doesn't work.

I'd recommend WSN's CSV/TSV import option rather than the flat-file import, simply because it's newer and more robust and the more predictable format reduces chances of problems, and people use it more which reduces bugs.
BeauS
Beginner

BeauS
Posted Apr 16, 2021 - 1:08 PM:

Paul, I good news. The 2004 gtlinksimporter.php script worked...for the most part. The catagories imported correctly, but the links bombed out when my virtual host ran out of memory.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10487200 bytes) in /home/radiolinks/www/www/main/links1/includes/mysqli.php on line 61

One way to get around this would be to move this project off the virtual host to a more robust server, at least for importing and then export/import the sql file.

I will also contact my ISP support team and see if they have any ideas.

Have you got any suggestions at this point? Also, what is "WSN's CSV/TSV import option"? I am a newbie on WSN tools. Thanks for your help.

-BeauS
BeauS
Beginner

BeauS
Posted Apr 16, 2021 - 1:13 PM:

I may have spoken too soon. I just looked at the mySQL database and the "Description" for the links did not import. I will stop working on this until I hear back from you. Thanks.

-BeauS
BeauS
Beginner

BeauS
Posted Apr 16, 2021 - 2:08 PM:

I worked with my ISP to get 500M memory allocated to our virtual host. The gtlinksimporter.php tool ran and imported the categories and links. None of the descriptions for categories or links imported. I was not allowed the opportunity to "regenerate counters" due to the gateway timing out. That is where the migration stands at this moment. Any suggestions on the best way to move forward will be appreciated.

https://radiolinks.net/main/links1

Thank you for your help.

-BeauS

BeauS
Beginner

BeauS
Posted Apr 16, 2021 - 5:09 PM:

Paul, I decided to install the stand-alone version and see what the differences are. I used the gtlinksimporter.php to import my data. We are missing some parts of the data:

1. No descriptions of links or categories
2. No hits counts or statistics
3. No links marked "Popular"
4. No members (people who submitted links to the original site)

I was able to "Regenerate Counters" on the stand-alone install.

I cannot find the CSV/TSV Importer that you referred to. That may be the best way to get all our data imported.

The stand-alone install is at https://radiolinks.net/rlinks

We are making progress. I will probably move our license to the stand-alone version. I will refer to your earlier post on that.

Thanks again for your help.

-BeauS

Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Apr 17, 2021 - 6:01 AM:

33 MB is normally plenty of memory, I'm surprised the import tries to use more.

BeauS wrote:
Also, what is "WSN's CSV/TSV import option"? I am a newbie on WSN tools.

Admin Panel -> Links -> Add Links -> CSV/TSV Import.

Since you've been able to get categories imported, that simplified things for using a CSV links import -- you can use a category id field and it'll put them in the already-created categories.

For members, things are trickier. You could try using phpmyadmin, I think it has both CSV export and import. but do you know what password encoding gossamer uses? If it's a simple md5 like a lot of scripts of that age, you can set the passencode field to md5 on every member to make that work. If it's plain text, use 'none'. If it's salted, 'saltdouble' may or may not work depending on if they do it the same way as WSN. If you can't match password encoding then people will have to reset their passwords. Be sure to set validated to 1 for everyone if gossamer doesn't have a validated field to import.
BeauS
Beginner

BeauS
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 17, 2021 - 11:37 AM:

Paul, thank you so much for your help. I am planning on working on the database tomorrow. I will update you later on that part of this project.

I am going to delete the WordPress install I started with, including deleting WordPress. I think I can be more productive with the limited time I have for this project if I stay in the stand along version.

How do I activate my WSN license in the stand alone version so I can delete WordPress? I reviewed your April 15th post above which seems to slice WSN Links out of WordPress, which would keep the license intact. My situation is different. Right now the stand alone version at https://radiolinks.net/rlinks is running in trial mode. I would like to move my license to that install, if that is possible. If not, I will attempt to cut WSN Links out of WordPress as you outlined.

Since this thread has wondered around a bit, I will start posting my questions in separate threads so we can keep on topic better.

I really appreciate your hard work on your scripts. They are really good.
Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 18, 2021 - 8:09 PM:

It sounds like you'll want to uninstall the wordpress-linked WSN, in which case you can do that through uninstalling the plugin in wordpress before you delete wordpress. Or you can run the uninstall through the WSN admin if you prefer, last option on the miscellaneous menu.

To activate the license on the other install, just click the activate link on the front page of the admin and enter your account info, or you can alternatively enter it at Admin -> Settings -> System Configuration at the top.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.