mod rewrite - rewriting "details"

Comments on Introduction and Thanks - Few Questions

CreditMaster
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 5
Posted Jun 08, 2005 - 10:19 PM:

Hello and glad to be here. First thank you for a great program. I have tried several different link management programs but this one is by far the best. A little more time consuming to set up but that is a plus because I now have complete control over what and how everthing appears. One day with Basic and I had to buy it. Thank You.

Just to confirm that I corrected my one problem - when I turned on mod rewrite at first the wrappers were not picking up images or CSS outside of the directory I have WSN in. Easy fix. I then noticed that going from category to detail the same thing was happening after the fix. That's when I figured out for some reason detail was getting rewritten. I found this thread https://www.webmastersite.net/forums/comments.php?... and it sounded like a similar problem or at least the solution sounded like it might work. I tried it for "detail" and it solved the problem. My question is could this fix cause any other problems that I haven't noticed yet?

Hope this not wrong to have a different topic question in same thread but here goes. Is there a way to set an email confirmation that anyone who submits a link must reply to before link is submitted for validation. With or without member system turned on. Prefer without but maybe on without requiring username and password. Maybe feature is there and I just haven't had time yet to figure it out.

Also how can I add name field to submit link form, save to database and then use to personalize emails.

Hope this isn't to many different questions in one post. If the support here is as good as the product we are good to go. I'm sure it is - that's one of the feature that sold me - an active forum for support. Thanks again for a great product and sorry for the long post.

CreditMasternod http://www.goodcreditahead.com
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 09, 2005 - 8:04 AM:

URLs in your templates should get automatically absolutized when mod_rewrite is on. I'd have to see exactly what HTML you were using to figure out why it didn't in a particular case. Actually at a glance, it looks like you have ../images/top1.jpg and the ../ may be making it not possible to absolutize it. Since you're not calling something in your actual WSN Links directory you don't want the script to absolutize it there, you'll just have to make the urls absolute yourself to be what you want them to be. A relative url necessarily breaks whenever you enter a subdirectory, such as every category.

It isn't possible for it to accept or act on mail, it can only send mail.

On adding fields, please read that section of the manual.
CreditMaster
Beginner

Posted Jun 09, 2005 - 9:01 AM:

Paul,

I changed everything back to the way it was. Before I turned on mod-rewrite everything worked fine just the way it is now. After turning on mod rewrite I get what you see now. All url's are like this /images/top1.jpg. This is how they were with Basic and everything worked fine. With modrewrite on it resolves like this www.goodcreditahead.com/dir...directory//images/top1.jpg. I put the ../ in to solve that. Maybe thats not the correct way to fix it. As you can see every url is like that on the directory, category and details pages. Maybe there is something I could do in .htaccess to resolve it, I don't know.

Another thing I noticed was that with everything the way it was last night, when I tested add url if I put the URL in and clicked get title and description it immediately submited it instead of getting the information. It only did this if I was logged in. Don't know if the issues are related.

As I said, I have change everthing back to the way it was so if you choose you can see the actual problem. I don't want to let it like this for long, lots of 404's.

I am not an expert so I've probably done something wrong. I'm learning more every day. Your assistance is appreciated.

Thanks
CreditMaster
Beginner

Posted Jun 09, 2005 - 1:31 PM:

One thought I have is when I upgraded from Basic I had a problem and had to do a fresh install. I had modified the wrapper, details, suggestlink, displaylink and created a custom wrapper when using basic. After the install I uploaded the modified files so I wouldn't need to redo everything. Basic was in a directory named links and the new install is in directory named directory. Could there be something there from files modified with basic that could be causing the problem. I did upload the default files without any mods just to check and they presented the same problem. I'm thinking something may have been written to another file while using basic that may be the problem. I still have the site without any fixes if you care to take a look at how its appearing. All URL's have .com/directory//whatever. I don't know where the "directory/' is coming from. If I turn of mod rewrite everything is fine.

Thanks
CreditMaster
Beginner

Posted Jun 09, 2005 - 6:14 PM:

The issue in post #3 about immediately submiting instead of getting info is resolved.

Also regarding my main concern, I have put everything back to fix I came up with in post #1. I was getting way to many 404's. Couldn't stand to see that cluttering up my stats.

I am still curious as what the problem might be and if the fix I used could cause problems elsewhere.

I figured the name field for "suggest" was doable, I just hadn't gotten that far yet.

Thanks
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 10, 2005 - 10:48 AM:

It sounds like you still aren't making the URLs absolute.

All URL's have .com/directory//whatever. I don't know where the "directory/' is coming from.

They aren't coming from anywhere -- you're simply in that directory when using mod_rewrite so a relative url looks for the file in the directory you're in.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.