Comments on BUG: New Posts checkpoint reset

zippo
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 48
Total Comments: 166
zippo
Posted Apr 24, 2006 - 4:36 PM:

I have tried to investigate this in the past, and found one consistent way (for me anyhow) to experience this problem.

This will be the same basic info from the old forum but I wasn't able to refer to the bugs sub-forum because of:
Error: The file templates/default/custom/bugsforum.tpl does not exist.
In any event, if I visit the forums here, the "New Posts" will show new posts since whenever..

Upon creating a new topic and/or posting a reply (I don't think it matters which..) to an existing topic the new messages checkpoint is reset and from this point will show new posts since the time of my new topic/reply was posted.

Which on the forums here, most often means whatever listing of new messages shown before adding my message reduces the "New Posts" to show my own single, last post. Even if I was previously shown new messages for a forum I have not yet read, or forum-wide.

Pretty much a pain since if I post first, before reading the new posts as listed before posting, it renders the "New Posts" feature inaccurate.

Related, is the unpredictable (previously reported by me and some others) behaviour of the feature in general. Where the "New Posts" listing remains unchanged, spanning multiple login/logout and days/weeks, despite reading from the list.

I have refrained from logging in/out each time I visit the forums here and it seems to work a bit more as expected - although the 'checkpoint reset' as described above still effects things.

I don't know how sessions, cookies and such work with the forum and the new posts, but something in the mannor this all works seems fragile and is apparently dictating how I need to operate the forum for best results.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted May 27, 2006 - 11:04 PM:

This continues to plague me on this forum as of 1.3.3. The new posts list is reduced to ashes upon my posting a message, only showing my recently posted message.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Jun 17, 2006 - 8:50 AM:

This seems to have changed for the better.

Problem is I have resumed logging in/out each time -- I stopped doing that a few months back since it seemed to be causing some of the strangeness with the 'new posts' reliability..

Is there code changes on the (v1.3.3) support forum that hasn't made it into the released version?

..or perhaps my resuming login/out upon each forum visit is responsible?

Previously it was very consistent in that upon a new post to the forum the new messages display would get chopped down to show only my latest post(s).

The only thing different in this session from my last one, which produced the 'chopped' results is that I did NOT check new messages before posting a message.. not certain if that would have something to do with it.

UPDATE: I just checked again.. This might be the culpret. New posts =/ New Reply perhaps some way. After posting the new topics the 'new posts' seemed to be working as they should. HOWEVER, after posting this reply to my previously created topic, then checking 'New Posts' the list was reduced to just the TOPIC of which I made the reply in.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 17, 2006 - 7:09 PM:

It hasn't changed at all.

This support forum is slightly outdated, the current files are newer.

..or perhaps my resuming login/out upon each forum visit is responsible?

If you ever login or logout, I'd guess that to be responsible for the problems because it's something I never do.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Jun 18, 2006 - 9:45 AM:

Used login today, new post list looked okay however it did show some message from back in May which may be other odd behaviour, as I recall, with the new posts showing same/read messages as I (and others) first observed several month back.

If my observation of the other day is correct, this message (reply to existing topic) will 'clear' the new posts list, only showing "TEST TOPIC" and this topic instead of the full page that showed just prior to posting this reply..

Well, that didn't reproduce the 'chopped' lists.. Seems correct I guess.

It's still a drag -- elusive, unpredictable yet frequently casterates the new posts list. I'll continue to try and find a pattern and way to reproduce this..

Shucks, I thought that maybe I'd nailed something consistent down. sad
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Jun 28, 2006 - 11:29 PM:

I know this is getting stale, and I have not made any headway isolating anything solid, but..

FWIW, I had stayed logged in on the forum from my last visit on the 18th, new message list was fully populated with a couple pages just a few minutes ago.

After posting my latest two message topics (The 'Opera 9.00 issue' and 'SUGGESTION: [image]..') the new posts is reset.

It sure would be nice if the screwball behaviour of the new posts were to be eliminated.. sad
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.