Comments on Updating: overwriting files

Starship-Trooper
Experienced

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 33
Total Comments: 84
Posted Jun 04, 2007 - 4:41 PM:

Hi,
I hope I'm back again now, had some time (&computer) trouble for several months..

I just want to upgrade from 4.0.14 to 4.0.30, and wonder what's happening with some files which should not get overwritten, as you tell in the readme.

1)
"/integration should not be overwritten"

so in 4.0.30 there are some changes and additional stuff in this dir - should not bother me, right?

2)
what exactly is "wsnlinks\templateschema.wsn"?
- it seems I did change it at some time before, but maybe only some numbers are different from the orig-version as it seems. I really don't know when I did a change on that in consciousness.
Will overwriting my version do any harm?

3)
"/templates should not be overwritten" (only \admin.. dirs)
I adjusted several templates. Will I be on the save side if i put all 4.0.30- tpl-files in there which I have not played with in 4.0.14?
..And use ur comparision tool for all the other ones (and change them line by line)?

thx, starship-trooper

Starship-Trooper
Experienced

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 33
Total Comments: 84
Posted Jun 05, 2007 - 7:56 AM:

additionally,
what happens with files which are not in use anymore (in new versions). Should I delete them (I don't like rubbish in my folders)?

My Example would be the file "wsnlinks\admin\adminfunctions.php", which is not available in 4.0.30 anymore..
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 05, 2007 - 3:59 PM:

1) If you're using integration, don't overwrite your customized integration file with a default one that will undo your customization. If you're not using integration then it doesn't matter what you do, overwrite or not.

2) It's not a user-customizable file, overwrite it.

3) It tells you to not overwrite your templates. This is so that you don't lose customizations. There's no real point in using the file comparison tool since there were no important template changes, which is why it doesn't tell you to overwrite. If you've customized your administration panel templates then sure, you can use the comparison instead of overwriting them.

4) It's irrelevant. If you try deleting them you run the risk to accidentally deleting important things. If you want to take that risk, which yields no reward at all, well, feel free. I don't when I upgrade.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.