Comments on 4.0.19 - category selector empty

Jenny
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 199
Jenny
Posted Mar 11, 2007 - 8:00 AM:

I just upgraded my directories to 4.0.19 and noticed that all category selectors on suggest and edit link pages are empty. I tried regenerating the cat selector, but it's working fine everywhere else.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Mar 12, 2007 - 6:51 AM:

How many categories? It's probably over the limit. Perhaps you prefer to set the tweak: scripts.webmastersite.net/w...rticles/tweaksphp-359.html
Jenny
Forum Regular

Jenny
Posted Mar 12, 2007 - 3:52 PM:

I have 1.300+ categories. Added tweaks.php with $overridesafety = true;, but nothing changes. The selector works in the footer, but not on suggest or edit pages.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 13, 2007 - 4:52 PM:

Simply overriding will just timeout and kill your server, you need to use the $ignorepermissions tweak as well. Then regenerate your sitemap.

Even then, with 1300 categories you're looking at perhaps 50KB extra in your page size making it load slow for diaup types, and it could potentially lead to out of memory errors, not to mention it's pretty hard for the user to actually read through 1300 options. Not sure why you want the switch on.
Jenny
Forum Regular

Jenny
Posted Mar 23, 2007 - 4:53 AM:

Okay, I upgraded to .21 just now, changed tweaks.php and regenerated - and still nothing.

"Not sure why you want the switch on."
Because I regularly have to change categories for links and I really don't have all cat IDs in my head.

Another thing I noticed: on the "validate items" page the categories for link edits don't show up.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 23, 2007 - 10:56 PM:

Works for me testing with 4432 categories. You've switched it on in your switches and regenerated? Your levels in category selector setting isn't 0?
Jenny
Forum Regular

Jenny
Posted Mar 24, 2007 - 3:36 AM:

aah, look at that, the switch isn't switching back on its own anymore.
But now I have another problem. Using 4 levels in the selector will result in time out, so I have to use 3 levels. However most links are placed in 4th level categories, so when I visit the "edit link" page the correct category cannot be selected and the selector jumps back to the very first category in the list. Meaning if link owners edit their links (possibly without even looking at the category) and submit the changes they'll all submit their links to the very first category of the directory.
And changing categories is impossible, too, when it's supposed to go into a 4th level category...
Damn it, that's what happens when you try to keep things organized and neat sad
mrowton
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 57
Total Comments: 185
mrowton
Posted Mar 24, 2007 - 4:47 PM:

I've had similiar issues so I temproily added {CATID} to the sitemap template beside the category name, printed it out, turned off the category selector, and used the sitemap printout with catid's as a reference. Then again that was for me only. Not sure what to do for your average visitors.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 24, 2007 - 9:20 PM:

I've addressed that in 4.0.22 by having it automatically add the current category to the bottom when it's not present in the selector.

I don't see why 4 levels would time out, doesn't for me with 4000+. Maybe because I generated most of those as subcats of the same cat or something.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.