Comments on Backup templates

webflair
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 187
Total Comments: 465
Backup templates
Posted Feb 26, 2013 - 9:43 AM:

For some reason, whether it be a recent upgrade or something else, all of my custom templates were completely overwritten on two of my sites, replaced by WSN default templates. Although I had backups, there had been changes after I took the backups, so whatever happened cost me a days work. I am now incredibly worried this could happen again, I cant afford that to happen.

Can we have some way of backing up our templates within WSN, like clone but just the templates. Perhaps even taking a backup automatically before an upgrade.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Feb 27, 2013 - 10:38 AM:

This template reversion problem has happened on several sites recently during updates. I've not yet been able to reproduce how it happens but I added some code to upgrade.php that should stop the only way I could guess it would happen. I also added an automatic backup of each template set to a 'hide' version in the templates directory upon upgrade, I'm just going to leave that in there until I'm sure that the template reversion problem has been solved.

There is the rollbacks option, but that rolls back the entire site including database and files to the previous version, like a clone.

The theme packager would be the best way to manually backup templates, because it'll allow you to restore them to a later version without having most of your templates suddenly marked as customized causing you more work down the road.

I'll look into changing the current backups page to include a theme backup along with the database backup -- that way you'd be able to generate a series of automated backups. That'll have to wait for the 8.0 series though most likely.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.