Generating HTML Pages
How do I genrate html pages

Comments on Generating HTML Pages

sleeplessonline

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 6
Total Comments: 15
Posted Jan 14, 2005 - 4:46 PM:

I keep trying to genrate html pages but I get an error message that the directory doesn't exist. How do I create the HTML? Step by step if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Kelly
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jan 14, 2005 - 7:21 PM:

You need to decide where you want to generate the html. Create that directory, then specify it on the 'generate html' page. The default suggestion is making it at /admin/htmloutput, but that directory doesn't exist by default so you still have to create an htmloutput subdirectory in your admin directory to use it.

After creating the directory, make sure you CHMOD it to 777 so that it's writeable. Then, go to the 'generate html' page and generate and it should work (of course, you may also want to customize the templates used in the generation).

You can also use the options in the 'automated' area at the bottom of the page to make it create subdirectories for each category, and specify what it names the html files (these options will apply to all generations, automated or not, though that's not very clearly shown on the page).
sleeplessonline

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 6
Total Comments: 15
Posted Jan 14, 2005 - 7:53 PM:

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I created the folder but didn't realize until after I posted that I needed to set the permissions. Unfortunately I can't set them. I have to have the server set them.
How will the categories be displayed if I don't have it create subdirectories?
I'm sure that is a stupid question but unfortunatley I'm not sure. And one more stupid question...If I have it create subdirectories won't I need to CHMOD each one? It's really difficult not being able to set the permissions on the files. Everytime I need them set I have to e-mail them to do it. I want to make sure I know all of the files that need to be done.
Thanks again,
Kelly

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jan 14, 2005 - 11:09 PM:

Unfortunately I can't set them. I have to have the server set them.

A directory created by the script is inaccessible by FTP on some php/server configurations until you run the CHMOD utility on it (in the 'maintinence' section of 3.14 and in the hacks forum for previous versions). No need to have your host do it.

How will the categories be displayed if I don't have it create subdirectories?

The default naming for them as shown at the bottom of the 'generate html' page is cat{CATID}.htm, where {CATID} is the id number of the category the file is of. The index.htm it generates will simply link to each cat1.htm, cat2.htm etc.

If I have it create subdirectories won't I need to CHMOD each one?

I'd think that it'd be able to write to directories of its own creation, being the owner, without chmoding. If it can't for some reason, again there's the chmod utility for that. (Though it presumes 777 is the category permission you need, so the occasional servers that require 755 instead would have a problem and require modifying the file.)
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.