Register Log In

Generating Static Category Pages

Comments on Generating Static Category Pages

sharma22

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 10
Posted Jun 09, 2011 - 8:39 AM:

Option to generate static category pages based on level of categories. Levels higher than that can be the way it is now. This will reduce some load on the server.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 09, 2011 - 11:07 PM:

The static pages system isn't intended for caching large portions of the site, use the cache system instead. Admin -> Settings -> General -> cache system.

I don't understand why the level of the category should affect whether it's cached, though. How would that help?
sharma22

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 10
Posted Jun 10, 2011 - 2:14 AM:

After using Static File Generation to create some static files, I noticed those pages opened much more faster than cache pages and I did the testing on www.webpagetest.org/ as well.

Using level of categories to create static category pages will take care of limitations set by some web hosting company for maximum number of files and folders allowed.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 15, 2011 - 12:34 PM:

You have no membership, only guests? Static files don't work when members are involved.

Cached pages are slower because they check for member status etc, but are an order of magnitude faster than the normal page.

Never heard a web host limit like that.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.