Geo from IP Mod

Comments on Geo from IP Mod

webflair
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 187
Total Comments: 465
Posted Oct 08, 2010 - 9:00 PM:

Am I going mad? I have been trying for the last half an hour to find where to pay for and download that software that allows me to tell a persons location from IP address. Where is it?

And...

If I buy it, will I be able to display a persons town in text, is there a variable for that?

Will I be able to create a toplist of local businesses based on the location determined by this software?

Does it come with instructions?

Thanks
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Oct 09, 2010 - 6:56 PM:

http://www.wsnlinks.com/geolocation.html

Yes, you can create a toplist of listings within x miles of them.

As for displaying the town, {THISMEMBERZIPSOURCE} is sorta like that except it can be altered and saved in a cookie, it's whatever they last searched. So I'll add {THISMEMBERIPLOCATION} to always give the IP location. This is available in 5.1.50 Beta 3 which will be out within the hour.

I've added a brief knowledge base article: scripts.webmastersite.net/w...ation/geolocation-542.html
webflair
Forum Regular

Posted Oct 10, 2010 - 10:57 AM:

Thanks Paul,

I have now purchased it, where do I download it? Or could you send it to me at jonsharpe211 [at] gmail.com
webflair
Forum Regular

Posted Oct 12, 2010 - 4:55 AM:

All works well Paul, but...

The problem is in the pre filled search box, and if you display the visitor location, for UK locations it displays something like this...

Horsham, P6, GB

That would mean very little to the average user, they will wonder what on earth P6 means, what it needs to say ideally is...

Horsham, West Sussex, United Kingdom

I notice part of the database holds all of the region names and country names, so is it at all possible to display them?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Oct 14, 2010 - 10:18 AM:

Note to other readers: an experimental regionnames tweak now does this in 6.0.
webflair
Forum Regular

Posted Oct 14, 2010 - 1:57 PM:

I don't know what you did in Beta 15 Paul, but it ironed out all of the problems I was having with the IP database, and region display seems accurate as far as I can see.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Oct 15, 2010 - 10:31 AM:

Odd. Actually now that I think about it, I think I know what it was. Beta 14 was using the IP address you had at the time you originally registered (due to a little bug introduced in generalizing the same code to resolve listings and comments based on their submission time IPs) whereas beta 15 is using the IP address of the present moment. You may have registered from a different location than you're currently at, while I wasn't noticing the difference since I'm in the same place.

As for the autocomplete issue when there are cities of the same name in different regions, that may or may not be fixed. Confusingly, it started apparently working after a few refreshes when I hadn't changed anything. Maybe I was having a cache issue before. I'm going to keep region names as a tweak for a while until I'm positive there's nothing funny going on, and that the extra database queries it involves aren't too much of a burden. Then someday I'll probably make it always enabled and remove the tweak.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.