Comments on how does invitations work?

babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Sep 09, 2006 - 2:55 AM:

Probably a stupid question <G> but how exactly do they work? (non-technical version please <G>)
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Sep 09, 2006 - 11:56 AM:

It's basically for Google-style marketing. Take a simple everyday product -- say, web-based email -- and make it available by invitation only. This makes it exclusive, and hence popular, you get people using the site because they feel special.

Once you turn on the switch, an option appears under settings->users to make registration be by invitation only if you wish (you can also just use invites without requiring them to register). Then in the usergroup permissions you set who can send how many invites. The usergroup specification bit I don't quite see the purpose of, but the person who had me create said feature apparently has multiple usergroups they want people to be able to register in based on who invited them.

Invitations are sent out from the member home page.
tradenet
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 54
Total Comments: 127
Posted Jan 20, 2009 - 12:57 PM:

Paul wrote:
It's basically for Google-style marketing. Take a simple everyday product -- say, web-based email -- and make it available by invitation only. This makes it exclusive, and hence popular, you get people using the site because they feel special.

Once you turn on the switch, an option appears under settings->users to make registration be by invitation only if you wish (you can also just use invites without requiring them to register). Then in the usergroup permissions you set who can send how many invites. The usergroup specification bit I don't quite see the purpose of, but the person who had me create said feature apparently has multiple usergroups they want people to be able to register in based on who invited them.

Invitations are sent out from the member home page.

So "usergroup specification" feature bit is used to allow the invitees to be only in the "inviters" specific grp.? Is that how I understand it?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jan 21, 2009 - 5:08 AM:

It's to allow them to be invited as anything from a member to a group higher than member which the inviter is in and wants the invitee to be in. I don't know why someone would want that, but I believe someone paid me to implement it that way.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.