Comments on Links to custom dynamic pages

osirs

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 12
Total Comments: 31
osirs
Posted Aug 26, 2008 - 1:21 AM:

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} I want to simplify my site by using a custom template to create a second page for my links that uses data from the “add link” form.

I found I can do this by using the details link. Is this a good idea or is there a better way?

Please see these examples on my page: http://www.sdbest.com/SDBest/136.

Example 1:
Click on the "Mrs. Rice's Teriyaki Grill" link and it take the user to a second page and custom template: www.sdbest.com/SDBest/index...=teriyakigrill&ext=tpl

Example 2:
Right now it is only working on link title “Mrs. Rice’s Teriyaki Grill.” Click the “Details” link and it takes the user to a similar but dynamic page:
www.sdbest.com/SDBest/links...es_Teriyaki_Grill-523.html

My goal is to take advantage of form data to create dynamic pages associated with individual links as in the second example.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Aug 26, 2008 - 12:23 PM:

Your custom pages look almost identical to the link details pages, so why are you doubling it all? Why not just customize the link details page, and leave the URL field blank so that it'll link to the link details page?

a similar but dynamic page

Every page anywhere in WSN Links is dynamic, of course, so I don't know what you're getting at being the difference.
osirs

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 12
Total Comments: 31
osirs
Posted Aug 26, 2008 - 10:26 PM:

Good. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track before moving forward. My current custom pages are only 1/2 dynamic because I have been doing things the hard way, hand coding most of the data into them.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.