Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

Question about upgrading and templates
Can i upgrade if i have custom templates?

Comments on Question about upgrading and templates

jsfent

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 12
Total Comments: 24
jsfent
Posted Dec 24, 2007 - 4:24 PM:

Hi,

What effects will there be if I customize my WSN Links templates and then try to upgrade? Does customizing mean that I can't upgrade or can only upgrade certain parts of the site?

Thanks,
Jackie
babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Dec 24, 2007 - 9:44 PM:

Hi Jackie

You can still upgrade. I see you are using 4.1.22, the 4.1 versions make upgrading really easy. When there is an upgrade ready it will tell you this in your admin panel. After clicking on upgrade it will automatically upgrade everything EXCEPT your custom templates. Once done it will then give you a message saying which templates require upgrading and allow you to click on each template name to show you what has changed since the version you are upgrading from. You can then manually upgrade your custom templates.

Merry Christmas!

Jill
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Dec 25, 2007 - 11:40 AM:

As long as you know HTML (rather than using a WYSIWYG tool to customize) you should be able to follow the instructions provided on upgrade for any necessary template changes -- though the instructions would be easier to follow with context, which I hope to add. I try to make sure that it'll still work without the changes as well. There are no plans for major template changes, it'll just be insertions of new options (for example, thumbshots integrated into 4.1.23 will require small changes to the link bit and wrapper).

The stylesheet has a fully automatic update which just tacks on new stuff at the end.

I recommend against extensively customizing the admin panel templates since those change most often and there's not a lot of point to doing it... but if you want to change the validation template for example, that'll just mean slightly longer upgrade instructions sometimes.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.