Register Log In

Reply by email

Comments on Reply by email

prep4usmle

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 13
Total Comments: 24
Posted Apr 12, 2010 - 10:21 PM:

Would it be possible for a user that receives email notification from a thread he subscribed to simply reply to that email and the content to be posted as a topic?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Apr 14, 2010 - 1:55 PM:

You mean posted in a topic as a reply, right... not as a topic?

It's something that'd require manual setup of an email account to process it, so it couldn't be enabled by default, which reduces its value to me since most people will inevitably not notice it.

I'd have to add a custom header to identify the user since the "from" addresses can't be relied on, and another header to identify the post they're replying to. Then the reply-to address would have to be set for replyable emails but not for other emails. Then the whole IMAP system to process the emails and add the posts (though the bounce detector code solves part of this). Hopefully that'd only take a few hours but it's hard to say.

Given my infinite to-do list and the fact that it entails more configuration work/support having to setup up the email account, this is unlikely to make it into 6.0. I could do it for you within a few weeks for $200, or I could ensure that gets into the 6.0 release (which will probably be out in the fall) for $65.
prep4usmle

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 13
Total Comments: 24
Posted Apr 14, 2010 - 3:14 PM:

I will wait till version 6.0 comes out. I am interested in this feature for wsnforum.

Thanks!
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.