I just want a link to cost $X and expire in X days

Comments on Sponsorship w/out daily funds reduction

midwestmedia

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 21
Total Comments: 50
Posted Feb 24, 2005 - 9:14 AM:

Hello,

I have been messing around with the sponsorship aspects of my site and would like to know if there is a way to simply make a link of a certain type cost $X dollars and have it expire in 365 days without doing the daily funds reduction to count it down to $0 dollars? The reason is that I would like to make the cost of the link a number such as $29 per year, but for the link to expire in 365 days using the funds reduction, I would need to deplete the account by a weird number like .079452 cents per day. Whether WSN links can deal with numbers that have that many decimal points is unknown to me, but regardless, I would like to simply charge a customer a set amount for a certain type of link (I will offer three price points of varying features) that will expire in 365 days.

My thinking on this is that it would result in a member having an account with various links (if they purchase more than one throughout the year) and could have them all expire on different days depending on when they were submitted (all 365 days from submission) rather than an account with a pool of money from which funds are depleted every day.

Does this make sense? Is it available either now as a modification, or a hack, or could it be implemented in the next version?

Thanks,

Jen
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Feb 24, 2005 - 9:11 PM:

The easiest way to handle this (unless I'm missing something) is to just change the sponsorship template to specify the charge amount there. You don't have to stick with the per-day amount, you can set any value in the paypal form and that amount will get added. This way the customer pays a round number (and you don't have to deal with possibly payments of $0.08 which woudl actually net you nothing at all after processing fees), even though the non-round amount it still getting deducted daily from it. This works with paypal -- but unfortunately not with 2checkout (with 2checkout it only adds funds as the number of purchases multiplied by the daily fee).

Edit (knew I was missing something):

My thinking on this is that it would result in a member having an account with various links (if they purchase more than one throughout the year) and could have them all expire on different days

There's no way to have funds spread across multiple links. Whether there will be in the future depends on if I see a clear way to impliment.

midwestmedia

Posted Feb 25, 2005 - 1:00 PM:

Thanks Paul for the reply...

Actually, I want to clarify something...when I mentioned the payments of 0.08 per day, I was referring not to PayPal payments of 8 cents, but the daily deduction from the customer account of 8+ cents per day. I mentioned this because I want the total amount of the listing for one year to be a certain amount, and there is no easy way to deduct 1/365th of that each day so that it will total that amount and be deducted evenly every day for 365 days.

That is why having a set amount for a listing for 365 days would help in the case of having a customer with more than one link in the directory. I would simply charge them $X one time and have the link expire in 365 days. No matter what is submitted, at whatever price point, they would all expire in 365 days.

I guess my question is that is there something in the program that can be altered to simply start a 365 day countdown to expiration without it being associated with the link funds?

Thanks Paul!

Jen
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Feb 27, 2005 - 2:57 PM:

there is no easy way to deduct 1/365th of that each day

Why not? I guess I'm not seeing the difficulty. Any yearly amout can be divided by 365 to give a daily amount.

I would simply charge them $X one time and have the link expire in 365 days. No matter what is submitted, at whatever price point, they would all expire in 365 days.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you somehow associating all the links sponsored by a member so that whether they submit 500 links or 1 link they still pay the same price? I don't see how such an association would work in WSN. And if that's what you mean I still don't see how the yearly vs. daily matter fits into it.
midwestmedia

Posted Feb 27, 2005 - 7:07 PM:

Hi Paul,

What I mean is that if I charge say $29 a year for a link, the daily rate would be 0.07945205479452... per day. Deducting a daily rate of this amount from the members' accounts would mean that either the amount deducted in the script would need many many digits, or if it was rounded down, it would not calculate correctly to result in a $29 charge for exactly 365 days.

I guess what I am asking is if there is way to simply modify the script in such a way that a link submitted expires in exactly 365 days, irregardless of the amount in the account (separating account deduction from link expiration).

Thanks Paul,

Jen
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Feb 28, 2005 - 3:42 PM:

There's a way to do anything by rewriting the script, but I don't do so until I come up with a good reason for it. Of course if you know PHP or hire someone you can do anything.

I don't see any problem with 0.07945205479452. I don't see any problem with 0.079 for that matter, since it would be about 10 years before anyone got an extra day of sponsorship out of it. Nobody is ever going to notice the difference, but if you want the rounder number just put on a "Buy 10 years, get one day free!" sale.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.