Comments on Strange centering after Opera upgrade

zippo
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 48
Total Comments: 166
zippo
Posted Jun 28, 2006 - 11:13 PM:

I upgraded a few days ago to Opera Version 9.00, Build 8501 for Win32.

Some strange centering of message info block, menu bar and content is occuring now when I am logged in as administrator. Although the WYSIWYG wasn't useful for Opera 8 (maybe works in 9.00) this too has gotten munged up. The display of the WYSIWYG editor has been broken.

If I logout as admin and access a topic either as a guest or non-admin user the centering does not happen... right off anyhow. If I am logged in as a regular user all looks good, however if I change to advanced posting then click the WYSIWYG button it turns into the broken looking editor and the other data becomes centered as if vising the forum as my administrator user.

The only thing I can think of is some 'standards' tweak new to 9.00 (never saw this with 8.xx) and something in the current style/template(s) of WSN Forum is now interpreted differently..

So far I've not been able to re-create the oddness on this forum, figures. wink
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Jun 29, 2006 - 8:25 AM:

I removed all traces of Opera and reinstalled version 8.54, which renders WSN Forum properly in all areas so far, as expected.

Installing Opera v9.00 as a separate browser and segregated from 8.54 produced the strange results as mentioned previously.

When visiting my forum (with Opera 9.00) as the administrator the display problems are triggered when selecting a thread to view. Prior to this the display appears normal.

If I visit as a non-admin member all appears normal, even thread display until I try and display the WYSIWYG editor. Once the display gets messed up when trying to show the WYSIWYG editor subsequent display is broken as when visiting as the admin.

Once the rendering 'breaks' for a non-admin user it spans visits -- eg: closing Opera 9 without logging out as the normal member, restarting Opera 9 and going back to the forum results in the bad rendering immediatly without having to 'trigger' it.

Removing all cookies for the domain and revisiting the forum, relogging in as a normal member do not make much difference - display becomes messed up upon thread view, then trickles into other areas - wrapper, shoutbox, menubar, etc.

So far I've not found anything to trigger the rendering problems with a guest user..
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 30, 2006 - 3:58 PM:

Using Opera 9 is a bit dangerous -- I lost some templates to an apparent caching bug where when I go to my multilingual templates and select a template it brings up the english template instead. Have also noticed on various forums it brings up the old versions of pages after editing posts sometimes, requiring a manual refresh. Much as I loved Opera, version 9 has driven me to use Konqueror.

I just tested WYSIWYG in Opera 9(.00, build 344, Linux) as a non-admin user at http://forums.philosophyforums.com, made a WYSIWYG post and there are no display issues at all -- it's just that the post doesn't go anywhere when submitted, it vaporizes. WYSIWYG in Opera 9 is supposed to be identical to Firefox, and I thought I'd tested it at least once. Will test further later.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Jul 01, 2006 - 8:49 AM:

I'm glad at least you've experienced strange stuff with Opera 9.00 -- I've since reverted to Opera 8.54 for my own satisfaction.

Although my templates and style are minimally different from the 1.3.3 dist. files, I'll compare them and see if I can figure out the centering issues and WYSIWYG corruption. Kind of unexpected that anything 'simple' like this would surface from the Opera upgrade.

Altough even numbered subversions historically have problems (9.01 might cure some of these issues) hopefully Opera won't become shelfware. sad

BTW: As I've experienced, the WYSIWYG did/doesn't work with Opera 8.54, is this correct?
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.