Sponsored post test crashed my site

Comments on 500 Error w/Sponsored Posts

jsfent

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 12
Total Comments: 24
jsfent
Posted Jul 19, 2010 - 8:50 PM:

I set up a sponsored post on my site (paid through PayPal) and after submitting the test link with sponsorship, my website is now showing a 500 Internal Server Error message. I can't see any pages of the website.

Where do I start to address the problem? Do I try removing the post through the database? Do I try updating templates?

Thx.
Jackie
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jul 20, 2010 - 11:12 AM:

I don't see how it's possible for a sponsorship to cause a 500 error, so I'd guess it's randomly coincidental timing. Here are the causes and solutions of 500 errors: scripts.webmastersite.net/w...rnal-server-error-319.html
jsfent

jsfent
Posted Jul 20, 2010 - 1:17 PM:

Hmm, I'm in the "sometimes shows a 500 error" category.

Could it be that a bad upload happened, possibly through the PayPal payment system?

Also, the Newest Links toplist is showing up empty. So that seems to be messed up by the last post as well.
jsfent

jsfent
Posted Jul 20, 2010 - 3:15 PM:

I'm getting this error on the page of the now-deleted sponsored post. When I tried clicking the "load this template in your template editor" link, the template wasn't there. And then when I tried clicking back, I got the 500 Internal Server error. How do I fix this?

If you are not the administrator of this site, please report this page to the administrator. If you are the administrator, please pay careful attention: You have a parse error in your template (or perhaps in your header or footer) which you need to repair before this page can be displayed correctly. The error is picked up on by php at line 289 of the output.Line #284: <?php if (0) { ?>
Line #285: <p>This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.</p>
Line #286: <?php } else { ?>
Line #287: <p>You don't have permission to post replies.</p>
Line #288: <?php if ( || ) { ?>
Line #289: <p>You must have at least topics and posts elsewhere before you can post in this forum.</p>

[Load this template in your template editor]

Note that the line of the output is not necessarily the same line number in your template... just look for a similar looking area. The source of your error is probably not on line 289 itself, but most likely a line or two before it. Check your code carefully for syntax mistakes. If you cannot recognize one, copy and paste this output into a thread on the support forum.
Now outputing the page without any conditional or php sections evaluated:
< type="text/javascript" src="templates/default/javascriptheader.js">
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jul 22, 2010 - 8:14 PM:

^ That seems to indicate that some data that should always be there is somehow missing. Or maybe not, can't be sure from here. If it were happening on every new listing you add I'd say default values had been lost in the database (can happen on some mysql upgrades).

Anyway I don't see how it could relate to a 500 error. Intermittent 500 errors could be a matter of the site being too slow and/or using too much memory. I'm not seeing any 500 errors in browsing the site currently though, and it doesn't seem particularly slow.

I can have a look: http://www.wsnlinks.com/inspection.html

jsfent wrote:
Also, the Newest Links toplist is showing up empty. So that seems to be messed up by the last post as well.

Not currently. It was fixed by deleting the last listing?
jsfent

jsfent
Posted Nov 03, 2010 - 1:24 PM:

Hi,

Back again.

This issue is still a problem on my Links site. I've noticed that I can surf around okay at first, but then it shows up after I try submitting a link. It will keep giving me 500 errors, but if I leave and come back, say, a day later, the 500 error disappears.

So it seems to have something to do with
1) adding links
2) possibly the something in my browser cache (?) that makes the site not like me.

Any ideas?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Nov 04, 2010 - 11:36 AM:

I see you're running WSN Links 4.0.18 there. That version is about 4 years out of date, no longer supported, I don't even have a copy if I wanted to test it, and has serious known security flaws which could turn your site over to criminals (or perhaps already have).
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.