500 Internal Server Error After Upgrade

Comments on 500 Internal Server Error After Upgrade

WebDesignGold.com
Web Designer

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 8
Total Comments: 24
Posted Aug 20, 2007 - 6:31 PM:

The upgrade process wont start. After uploading the required files from 4.0.38 (I've deleted all files from v. 4.0.37 to begin with exept the templates dir), I tried to run upgrade.php but I'm getting this 500 Internal Server Error.
I've tried both without .htaccess, only .htaccess.txt, and with my old version of .htaccess file. I get the same error.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
WebDesignGold.com
Web Designer

Posted Aug 20, 2007 - 6:56 PM:

Update:
Just after posting the above message, I found that all files were CHMODed to 666 as well as two dirs with 777 ('javascript' and 'cache'). I've immediatly changed permissions to 644 for all files and 755 for those two dirs. Now the 500 error disappeared but instead, I get a blank page when attempting to run 'upgrade.php' and the following errors when accessing the main index:
Warning: main(ulsearch.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /path/public_html/webdesigngold/prestart.php on line 158

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'ulsearch.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /path/public_html/webdesigngold/prestart.php on line 158

PS: I've temporarily uploaded an empty index.php to prevent the error from showing my paths.

WebDesignGold.com
Web Designer

Posted Aug 21, 2007 - 10:06 AM:

The main site is now working after a successful upgrade.. But, when I try to access the admin section I get the 500 internal server error sad

How I could upgrade:
I went in phpmyadmin in my account's cpanel and set the option for ulsearch to "no" in the "wsnlinks_settings" table. (this feature is just an unnecessary headache btw, I never use it).

Now what is causing the error when accessing the admin section is beyond my knowledge in this field. Any help please?

Thanks
WebDesignGold.com
Web Designer

Posted Aug 21, 2007 - 10:42 AM:

Again, I found that all files in 'admin' where set to 666 too. Why, I don't know. I've set the permissions back to 644 and was able to access the admin section.

So I guess this issue can be closed now smiling face
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Aug 21, 2007 - 10:39 PM:

ULsearch has been disabled for months, since it's a spam site taken over by someone else and therefore presents a security risk. The people who now own the ulsearch domain might find a way to hack your site if you have ulsearch integration on, if they're clever.

So anyhow, it's apparent that you had it on but I don't understand how you managed that when it shouldn't have been possible to turn on in any semi-recent version.

Does your FTP client have any settings for default CHMOD values?
WebDesignGold.com
Web Designer

Posted Aug 22, 2007 - 8:29 AM:

I've learned that my host was having issues with the server hosting my site at the time I was trying to upgrade to the latest version. Maybe that was the source of my problems.

I've never used ULsearch before and I haven't touched the settings prior to the upgrade attempt. Maybe you should remove it alltogether from the script?

My FTP client's setting didn't change either and I wasen't having any issues with permissions before. Again, maybe the issue was caused by the faulting server.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 22, 2007 - 9:28 AM:

Maybe you should remove it alltogether from the script?

I did that months ago, it doesn't exist in the script. Searchfeed and revenuepilot are the only PPC search engines, and revenuepilot is disabled (since I'm not sure if it works) so only searchfeed shows up in the list. Are you seeing a ULSearch option in your sponsorship page? I can't imagine how.
WebDesignGold.com
Web Designer

Posted Aug 22, 2007 - 12:18 PM:

Paul wrote:
Are you seeing a ULSearch option in your sponsorship page? I can't imagine how.

No, but there's still reference to it in 'index.php' and in the database in the "wsnlinks_settings" table as I wrote before.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 23, 2007 - 2:54 AM:

index.php has variables named for ulsearch, and the database has fields named after it, but they don't actually have anything to do with it, they're there for searchfeed. Only the ulsearch.php had stuff specific to ulsearch. Your error was that it was looking for the ulsearch.php which no longer exists. Somehow the setting must've gotten set to it even though it's not on the list anymore.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.