Comments on 3.3.8 link submit features missing

Rik
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 23
Total Comments: 161
Rik
Posted Mar 02, 2006 - 7:08 AM:

In 3.3.8, on the Submit Links page the following are missing (meaning they were in 3.1.6):

Button to open URL in new window to examine site being submitted.
(this may have been a mod Paul provided, but I can't find it)

Keywords for submitted links

Any way to get the features back?

Aren't keywords used in search?

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Mar 03, 2006 - 3:15 AM:

Those were never in any version of WSN Links (the 'open url' is on the edit page). There has never been a keywords field.
Rik
Forum Regular

Rik
Posted Mar 03, 2006 - 7:04 AM:

I know you are the developer, but I swear there used to be TWO keywords boxes on the page where you enter all the information about a link. I never understood why there were two, but now there are none. I always filled them in assuming it was used in the search function.

I do see the "Open Link" on the edit page, but I used to have it on the submit link page also. I have a vauge memory that might have been some code that was provided here for adding the feature on that page. On mine it was next to the "URL:" text on the left.
Rik
Forum Regular

Rik
Posted Mar 03, 2006 - 5:53 PM:

Paul,

This code is in the suggestlink.tpl of 3.1.6:

<tr>
<td class="labelscolumn"><span class="labels">keywords:</span></td>
<td class="optionscolumn"><textarea name="keywords" rows="5" cols="45">{LINKKEYWORDS}</textarea></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td class="labelscolumn"><span class="labels">keywords:</span></td>
<td class="optionscolumn"><textarea name="keywords" rows="5" cols="45">{LINKKEYWORDS}</textarea></td>
</tr>

Also, suggest.php has code for "keywords"

and if I open suggestlink.tpl the two keyword boxes are there

Rik
Forum Regular

Rik
Posted Mar 03, 2006 - 5:58 PM:

Also, if I open the suggestlink.tpl from 3.1.6 in IE the link to open the url is there.

This is apprently the code:

<tr>
<td class="labelscolumn"><span class="labels">Title:</span></td>
<td class="optionscolumn"><input type="text" name="title" size="{STANDARDSIZE}" value="{LINKTITLE}"></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="labelscolumn"><span class="labels">URL:
<br><a href="{LINKURL}" target="_blank">Link</a></span></td>
<td class="optionscolumn"><input type="text" name="url" size="{STANDARDSIZE}" value="{LINKURL}"> <IF {SWITCH_GETMETA}><input type="submit" name="getmeta" value="Get title and description" class="button"></IF></td>
</tr>

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Mar 05, 2006 - 2:30 AM:

The keywords couldn't possibly have been in 3.16's default templates, since there is no such field in the database and I haven't removed any fields from the database since then. It has the clear look of being generated by the 'add fields' page and never customized. Besides which it's a simple fact that I have never been interested in having a keywords field and a search of the forum shows you that I always respond to related queries telling people to add it theirselves.

A keywords field was added for WSN PPC (which was released around the time of Links 3.2), but what you have there is not WSN PPC template code, it had help text next to it and keywords capitalized of course.

This is apprently the code:

Also your own customization, I wouldn't have done that because it's largely useless -- it looks like it wouldn't work until you previewed (and there wasn't even a preview option back then that I recall).
Rik
Forum Regular

Rik
Posted Mar 05, 2006 - 7:10 AM:

The keywords were always saved, by the database, because I could edit them later.

In the mysql database links table there is still a keywords field and it is still populated with the data.

I just have no memory of adding this, but obviously if you didn't do it, it must be a mod that slipped in and I just do not remember it, nor have any notes about it.

I did often find the url link on the submit link page to be handy. I may try to add that back myself.
Rik
Forum Regular

Rik
Posted Mar 05, 2006 - 7:22 AM:

Searching here in the forum for "keywords" I see you telling us we can add a keywords field. I must have done that at some time. Since the field is already in my database, I will try to add the code to my template and use the existing field.

Thanks Paul.

Rik
Forum Regular

Rik
Posted Mar 05, 2006 - 8:36 AM:

I should have realized that the fact that the code was pasted twice, was an indication you had not done it!

Anyway, now I have it back. (And only one.)

Thanks
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.