Comments on Email spam?

fuee
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 56
Total Comments: 121
fuee
Posted Mar 25, 2005 - 8:36 PM:

I received 13000 emails in my account. It may have been an auto responder from the wsnlinks program but I am not sure. I dont know how it happened but I was receiving emails with the below message. All that email messed up my send mail function so my wsnlinks script was not functioning with its email program. I was receiving the same email probably every couple of secs. Had to get host to delete all that email and set up email filter to remove the email address then my email function for wsnlinks worked.

Message below:

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:54:12 -0500
To: test@host.test.com
Subject: Mail failure - no recipient addresses

A message that you sent contained no recipient addresses, and therefore no
delivery could be attempted.

------ This is a copy of your message, including all the headers. ------

To:
Subject:
Message-Id:

Use any link template variables in this message that you want to use to show info about the link this person submitted. When linking to something on your site, be sure to use http://www.xxxx.com/1 in front of the file name so that you'&ll have an absolute path.

Now, replace this text with the actual message you want to send.

Any thoughts guys. I am not a computer whiz so I do not know if this is a virus or what.

thanks,
fuee

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Mar 26, 2005 - 1:18 AM:

Did you use the 'send email' page? Do you have a member with the email test@host.test.com?
fuee
Forum Regular

fuee
Posted Mar 26, 2005 - 6:57 AM:

No,
I think I finally blocked with spam assassin but I have no clue how it occured. I recently switched servers and never even emailed from my host account. The email is actually send to an email account that do not exist on my server, it was a totally pain in the behind yesterday

Fuee
fuee
Forum Regular

fuee
Posted Mar 27, 2005 - 7:16 PM:

Paul,
test@host.test.com is actually my email account at my host.

This is the message part that keeps getting bounced back to my mail box. It has no sender or receiver for the below message.

------ This is a copy of your message, including all the headers. ------

To:
Subject:
Message-Id:

Use any link template variables in this message that you want to use to show info about the link this person submitted. When linking to something on your site, be sure to use http://www.xxxx.com/1 in front of the file name so that you'&ll have an absolute path.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the response from support:

The issue is not that the mail is being SENT to that address directly. The problem is that the script is sending the mail to a BLANK e-mail address. The mail server is getting that message and looking at it basically saying "Sorry bud, you are sending this message to no one. We can't deliver it, so here, you can have it back."

It's definately an issue with the script. Have the developer check the outgoing mail log in the program. You'll see what I mean.

I am really reaching the end of the road with this.
First too much queries caused me to move to another host, then I was worried I may get booted again so I moved to a VPS. Now this occured and host cant solve it and its eating up my resources again.

I hope you can help me with this one.
In my email logs the above email was not listed.

Thanks,
Fuee
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Mar 28, 2005 - 4:36 PM:

I presume you have the email queue on, right?

I don't see how an email could be sent without a from address, but you could open commonfuncs.php and replace
function sendemail($to, $subject, $message, $from, $bypass = 'no', $replacement = '')

{

global $debug, $settings, $db, $memberpref;

with
function sendemail($to, $subject, $message, $from, $bypass = 'no', $replacement = '')

{

global $debug, $settings, $db, $memberpref;
if ($settings->email == '' || $from == '') die("no from email supplied");
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.