Backup via admin stopped working

Comments on Backup via admin stopped working

Synozeer
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 32
Total Comments: 142
Posted Aug 02, 2005 - 11:24 PM:

I went to go backup my database via the admin interface using the Create Backup button. When I click to create a backup, it says it's created, yet on my FTP it shows a 0 byte file. CHMOD is 666 for my backup.sql file and I've done nothing different than what I usually do.

My last successful backup is 6,500KB. Is the database getting too big for it to backup? Otherwise, what do you think is going on?

Adam
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Aug 03, 2005 - 8:22 AM:

Was your last backup done with a previous version? Around 3.15 or so the backup system was changed in order to handle large databases, by using a shell command instead of actually creating the backup itself, but the result is that it won't work if php is in safe mode or other custom restrictions are in place to prevent shell commands. In such cases use phpmyadmin instead.

My last successful backup is 6,500KB. Is the database getting too big for it to backup?

For the old method it would've been, but with the new method I've backed up my 410 MB forum database. Of course you have to wait 15 minutes or so for that to generate in the background, you can't download right away.

There is an issue if you move your config.php file out of your web root, if by chance you've done that recently. But since it's an obscure manual entry I doubt you would have.
Synozeer
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 32
Total Comments: 142
Posted Aug 03, 2005 - 8:37 AM:

Nope, my last backup was done with 3.16. I've been creating backups via the shell method, which only takes a second or two to create the backup file.

As far as I can tell, php is not in safe mode and there aren't any custom restrictions in place to prevent shell commands.

Any way for me to trace/debug this to determine what's going on?

Adam
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Aug 04, 2005 - 6:15 PM:

I doubt the debug output would have anything useful, but you can always try it.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.