Broken Search Template
Not sure when this started, but can't find the problem

Comments on Broken Search Template

RockinDoubleJ

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 6
Total Comments: 34
Posted Aug 13, 2011 - 12:56 PM:

The link and the attachment kinda say what my problem is.  But in short, that wonky "wrapper inside a wrapper with no search listings" pulls up when I try to search something from my home page.  http://www.glutenfreebeerisnear.com/  The "second" wrapper that it is pulling up is old and incorrect, but it looks like that's because I need to manually update the "Search Listings" template.

Still, I can't figure out why this search is no longer working. It sure appears that something got messed up in the update as this is not the only function that was working and now is not after the update. We are trying to launch this site on Monday so this is a very urgent problem!

Thanks so much!  We're have spent 20+ hours working on this issue and need resolution ASAP.

Attached Files:
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Aug 14, 2011 - 10:55 PM:

The bad content is there because you placed it there in the advanced search template. Admin Panel -> Templates -> Manage Templates -> "Advanced Search" -- you've apparently pasted the content that belongs in the "wrapper" template into the "advanced search" one instead, resulting in two wrappers with no content. Click "revert to standard" to put it back as a proper advanced search template. I'll click that for you now...

Also, even as a wrapper template the wrapper is a big mess. Hard-coding the titles and meta tags like that kills the SEO, and all that inline javascript is both slower and harder to maintain/read than using external files.
RockinDoubleJ

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 6
Total Comments: 34
Posted Aug 15, 2011 - 11:26 AM:

Thank you Paul for checking this out. We did indeed hire a programmer through oDesk that has apparently done us far more harm than good. I would not recommend to anyone to hire through oDesk unless you pay for a job and not by the hour. As far as the meta tag information, that was done by the first programmer that we hired. A suggestion of how to correct that would be very helpful.

Again, Thank You for checking this out; we are working diligently to get all of this corrected now with our 3rd programmer. rolling eyes

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Aug 16, 2011 - 7:03 AM:

Go to Admin -> Templates -> Manage Templates -> "Wrapper" and click "view standard version" there to view the standard wrapper content, and copy the
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>{PAGETITLE}</title>
bit from there to replace the top of your current wrapper. The meta tags are autoinserted so you won't be putting them in the template. You can configure them at Admin -> Settings -> SEO on a sitewide basis, the default setup there has it use category and listing descriptions where applicable and a default on the rest of the pages.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.