Comments on Classified Template

mrowton
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 57
Total Comments: 185
mrowton
Posted Mar 04, 2005 - 2:48 PM:

I've been working on a template set that will make WSN Links appear more like a classfied ad script. Note, I have not touched any php or done anything outside of adding new fields and changing the templates. This is why WSN Links is so great in my opinion.

While there are still some obvious changes that need to be made, I'd like to start gathering feedback now because I'm having a hard time setting aside time to work on it.

The template can be found below
http://www.epoteau.com/classifieds/

Feel free to log in as "guest" "guest" to see what it looks like from a members perspective.

Points to note about this template.

• There are no comments, ratings, hits in, or reciprical links.
  • Hits out are counted when viewing the details page and are referred to as "Views"
  • Default sort order is newest
  • Featured listing on the main page are recent sponsors

Specific areas I would like feedback on

• By default listings should probably expire after a configurable number of days
  • There is no contact informaiton shown on the current templates, my initial stance is to make the contact fields (phone and e-mail) but only display this to registed members, not guest.
  • I'd like to make the default description length a maximum of (100?) characters. This will be displayed on the category and search templates. I will add a longer "complete description" field that has no limit, this will be shown on the details template.

Thanks in advance

Rik
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 23
Total Comments: 161
Rik
Posted Mar 04, 2005 - 6:42 PM:

This is very clever.

Any plans to provide for various "levels" of listings, basic free, premium $$, gold $$$$$ ?

mrowton
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 57
Total Comments: 185
mrowton
Posted Mar 05, 2005 - 11:56 AM:

I was only planning on basic and sponsor, not sure about multiple levels of sponsors.
gemini
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 54
Total Comments: 197
gemini
Posted Mar 23, 2005 - 12:26 PM:

Great work mrowton!

I like the concept a lot! A few questions:
1. Are the expired listings being deleted automatically?
2. If you make visitors to register to view listings details - is this kind of membership which also expires and being deleted automatically if not extended?
3. What's the purpose of watching items if this is not an auction?

Also a small suggestion - I noticed when you choose a category, subcategories appear above the categories, but when you choose a subcategory - they disappear. You have navigation in the subcategory available, but it kinda confuses me - I got stumbled.. it lets you to return to the previous category level, but you can't go directly to a different subcategory on the same level - like from Desktops to Laptops. You probably need to make them related this way it will fix it.

Are you planning on making the template set available for download sometimes?

Really nice!
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Mar 23, 2005 - 10:29 PM:

See the "completed modifications" forum.

I believe expired lisings become hidden, not deleted, but I'm not sure about that.

Registration expiration is of course simply a matter of whether you choose to use the usergroup sponsorship in that way or not.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.