Comments on Customizing thumbshotscode {URLENCODE}

digiguy
Experienced

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 16
Total Comments: 60
digiguy
Posted Jan 03, 2009 - 8:40 AM:

At present using affiliate URLs the thumbs for all links pointing back to the affiliate network.
If in the TITLE a real URL eg. www.bbc.co.uk was used and later the variable passed on to thumbshotcode {URLENCODE} then this way both the affiliate and the real URL could be integrated and with that thumbs would appear correctly also.

The question is how one would achieve this??

Personally, I think there should a way to accept 2 different URLs with link submissions from ground up.

Any ideas, pls let me know.

Thx, Joe
babrees
Expert

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Jan 05, 2009 - 4:21 AM:

Not quite sure I understand you, but will try to say what I do.

I have a new field called banner. In this I place the IMAGE ONLY of the merchant's banner using wsn codes so it displays it from their site. I then enter my affiliate link as the url.

On the template I have: <a href="link.php?id={LINKID}" {EXTERNALLINKS}>{LINKBANNER}</a>

This then displays the image as a hyperlink and masks the link too.

Hope that helps.
digiguy
Experienced

digiguy
Posted Jan 06, 2009 - 11:22 AM:

Basically I use the TITLE to enter the real URL eg. www.artgallery.co.uk then in the URL bit I enter the redirect affURL eg. http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=1178&id=529 and to formulate the visual appearance of the URL I would use:

<a href="affURL">TITLE</a>

Later may use MouseOver JavaScript to 'hide' the affURL to keep things simple.

Pointing manually to each merchant seem a bit labour some...

I am trying to re-code the Thumbshot images for sites coming up instead of the my default affURL pictures.
The problem is if the normal URLs are affURLs Thumbshot images will show nothing except the affURL site's image. To make things worse the URL for thumbshots is URL encoded so a link cannot be passed on without 'breaking' it down first.

Some genius out there must know the answer. nod
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Jan 07, 2009 - 2:56 AM:

I was going to PM you but you don't have it activated.

I am in the UK and use AW plus other networks. I have various sites all of which run on WSNLinks (including a voucher site). I have highly customised wsn for each site depending upon the requirements for that site.

If you let me know your site so I can see what you are trying to achieve I should be able to help you.

To me you seem to be doing things a difficult way smiling face

Send me a PM and I shall let you have my email and msn if you want
digiguy
Experienced

digiguy
Posted Jan 07, 2009 - 1:13 PM:

Hello again,
It sounds like you're into fine tuning in a more automated way and would like to chat to you about this.
Personally I use XLS to concatenate data or format it in many ways then even generate code to further automate stuff with batch files. To be honest got a bit rusty on coding since 2004 when I first bought this script and back in those days even got featured.
Would you know how I could turn on PM?
Thanks, Joe
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Jan 07, 2009 - 10:00 PM:

Hi Joe

To turn on your PM go to Options > Edit Profile Scroll down and select yes against "Activate private messaging system?"

Jill
digiguy
Experienced

digiguy
Posted Jan 08, 2009 - 2:00 AM:

Good morning Jill,

It seems it has already been activated... maybe something has happened over night? :-)
Chat soon.
Joe
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Jan 08, 2009 - 2:43 AM:

hmm, I wonder if Paul has PMs switched off then. If you go to my profile you can send me an email, but I notice that you can't send me a PM either!

Please go to my profile and send me an email, I will then reply with my email addy and msn

Cheers

Jill
digiguy
Experienced

digiguy
Posted Jan 08, 2009 - 11:07 AM:

Done smiling face
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 08, 2009 - 5:01 PM:

There's no way to use a different url field in thumbshots without PHP customizations. For the sake of speed, generic link variables aren't processed there. I'll enable a fallback to link variables in 5.1, but fast-tracking it into 5.0 would be a custom project.
digiguy
Experienced

digiguy
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 10, 2009 - 6:25 AM:

Thanks Paul, probably will skip thumbs for now but option of having 2 x URL fields (normal / affiliate) in 5.1 would be very handy smiling face
digiguy
Experienced

digiguy
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 18, 2009 - 4:24 AM:

Hi Paul,

One way around using a different URL in thumbshots was to use another URL in the title and then feed that back to thumbshots.
This was a lazy way... now will experiment by adding a second field for URL2 and use this to capture the images remotely.

Thx, Joe
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.