Comments on edit fields

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Apr 20, 2005 - 7:54 PM:

What could 'edit' possibly mean other than 'rename'? Just rename it. And when you do so, note that you're forcing yourself to edit all the templates involved to change the field name all places it comes up to the new name you're using.

or change the fields options

That's simply template HTML.
raevana
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 7
raevana
Posted Apr 23, 2005 - 10:39 AM:

I added a few custom linking fields. The information is showing up in the Submit a Link template.

When I go to edit a listing as the admin, all of the custom fields show but the text box next to the custom fields are blank.

I'm thinking that I didn't check the User Editable fields when creating the field name. I cannot find anyway to edit the field and add that the user editable option.

Question 1: The comments above say to rename it. Are you recommending that I rename it to County2 or something like that and then create a new County with the correct options checked?

In this case I would have to manually re-populate the county field for all listings. (Not a big deal since I have under 20 right now) but not a long term solution.

Question 2: IF I check the boxes for user editable will this solve the problem of the data not showing up when I go to edit that field? I think there are two of them in the Add Field options.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Apr 23, 2005 - 2:43 PM:

I cannot find anyway to edit the field and add that the user editable option.

Simply remove the conditional <IF {THISMEMBERISADMIN}></IF> from around it in the template that makes it only show up to admins.

The comments above say to rename it.

If you're referencing my posts, I said that you should never rename a field because it's a really bad idea that creates lots of work for you and I can't think of a reason it would ever actually be necessary -- but the option is there anyway because people want it and who am I to argue with people creating more work for theirselves.

problem of the data not showing up

All I can say is, what data? What data are you expecting to see, and what did you do that you think should cause it show?

the text box next to the custom fields are blank.

Should I presume you're suggesting you've tried to edit it to type a value in there, but when you submit and come back to edit again it's gone?
freshwill

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 20
Posted Sep 30, 2005 - 3:25 AM:

the fields still show up in edit.php.
I've deleted and recreated the same custom field, but it somehow duplicates it and displays in the edit screen of a link. It looks fine in the database, but for some reason, it these custom fields still show up. IS there a way to delete those fields for good w/ out it ever showing up on an edit screen?

thanks
freshwill

Posted Sep 30, 2005 - 3:26 AM:

I've deleted some custom fields, but the fields still show up in edit.php.
I've deleted and recreated the same custom field, but it somehow duplicates it and displays in the edit screen of a link. It looks fine in the database, but for some reason, it these custom fields still show up. IS there a way to delete those fields for good w/ out it ever showing up on an edit screen?

thanks[/quote]
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Oct 01, 2005 - 3:35 PM:

Deleting a field from the add fields screen, as it states there, does not alter your templates. It's your job to change your templates to remove stuff that's no longer applicable.
freshwill

Posted Oct 01, 2005 - 4:51 PM:

Hi Paul,

according to my problem, where do we edit on the edit.php page?
thanks!
mrowton
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 57
Total Comments: 185
mrowton
Posted Oct 02, 2005 - 3:37 AM:

Don't edit the edit.php page.

Look in the templates area of your admin panel and edit the "edit link" template. In the template you will see it duplicated.

Don't feel bad it can be confusing. Adding a new field automatically gets added to the edit link template, howevery it doesn't get added to the suggest link template. However when you delete a field, it is not automatically removed from edit or suggest template.

Why is that paul? I can understand not wanting to remove anything, but why aren't new fields either not added at all or added to both suggest and edit link template?
freshwill

Posted Oct 02, 2005 - 5:37 PM:

hi,

thanks for the info. I also want to know why the new added custom field does not display in the add new > add link section of the admin panel.
You can only see it when you click on an individual link to edit.
Paul
developer

Paul
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 03, 2005 - 2:21 PM:

Why is that paul?

Because the html around the field is inevitably customized, so any attempt to guess at key markers to remove it is likely to cause damage.

I also want to know why the new added custom field does not display in the add new > add link section of the admin panel.

Your suggestlink.tpl must not have been chmoded to be writeable. Add it in like any html form element or copy the edit template.
freshwill

#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 03, 2005 - 3:24 PM:

hi paul, everything in that directory was chmoded to 666.
My other alternative was to copy and paste the new custom fields from editlinks to suggestlink.

I'll have to double check to see the chmod. thanks
mrowton
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 57
Total Comments: 185
mrowton
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 03, 2005 - 6:33 PM:

Every time I add a new field it adds the relavent html to the edit link template

It never adds the html to the suggest link template.

This has happened from version 2.x to 3.x

My suggest link template is chmoded. In fact I've changed it several times. I also haven't removed any of the "add new fileds here" markers.

This certainly doesn't matter either way, I was just curious why new field html is added to edit but not suggest.

Paul
developer

Paul
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 07, 2005 - 3:55 PM:

Will recheck this shortly.
Paul
developer

Paul
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 09, 2005 - 7:48 PM:

Okay, checked, and I can only state that every time I add a link field it does properly add the code to the 'suggest link' and 'edit link' templates -- as long as I check the boxes to indicate it should be submittable and editable, of course. It put this in suggestlink.tpl and edit.tpl:

<tr>
<td class="labelscolumn"><span class="labels">testing template addition:</span></td>
<td class="optionscolumn"><input type="text" name="test" size="{STANDARDSIZE}" value="{LINKTEST}"></td>
</tr>
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.