Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

Editing Link Addresses and Google Maps?
Does this update the latitude & longitude fields?

Comments on Editing Link Addresses and Google Maps?

bsienk
Beginner

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 4
Total Comments: 8
bsienk
Posted Dec 03, 2009 - 8:42 AM:

I've run an import for links, and then ran the "regenerate" process to update them including the Google Maps latitude and longitude coordinates. Reviewing my results, I found some addresses that were inaccurate from the source data, causing the map pins to appear in the wrong place.

When I edit these links to correct the addresses, the map pins are not corrected. It appears that latitude and longitude are not updated when I change the address for a link.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but is there a way to update this when I update a single link, without having to regenerate all of the links? Perhaps I need to upgrade to a the latest version? Regenerating all of the links whenever a single link's address is corrected is not practical.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Dec 03, 2009 - 8:08 PM:

It's set to update when the street address changes. Are you changing some other part of the address, like the city?

On the link details page, there's a dropdown selector where you can choose to regenerate the particular link.
bsienk
Beginner

bsienk
Posted Dec 04, 2009 - 2:30 PM:

Thanks very much for your reply. In this case, I had changed the street address and also added a Zip+4 code, but the map latitude and longitude coordinates did not change. Perhaps it's a version issue... I will update to the latest version and try it again.
bsienk
Beginner

bsienk
Posted Dec 04, 2009 - 3:00 PM:

I just realized: We are using the "Combined Details and Comments" template. I don't actually see the drop down there. I just edited "details.tpl" and saw that it contains the following code which is not in "detailcomments.tpl":

<IF {THISMEMBERISADMIN}>
<option value="regeneratethread">Regenerate Thread</option>
</IF>

Also: I ran the update to the most current version, then updated an address and added a zip code. The map coordinates did not update.
bsienk
Beginner

bsienk
Posted Dec 04, 2009 - 4:39 PM:

One last thing:

I just tried adding a street address and zip code for a link which did not have those fields filled in. For these, the map coordinates did, in fact, get updated for the map.

I then tried updating an incorrect street address for a different link. This is what I had been trying to do before. Once again, the map coordinate did not update. I went back into the same address and added the zip code, and it did update.

I see that the map coordinates are, in fact, updating when a link address and zip code are updated, although I'm not sure if it's consistent.

In any case, if you could provide some guidance on adding the single-link "regenerate" code to the combined details & comments template, that would be great. As always, thanks very much for your help.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Dec 10, 2009 - 7:07 PM:

I'm adding the regeneration option to the details+comments for 5.1.15.

Will also have it update when any of street, city or zip change.

Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.