Comments on Firefox trouble

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 30, 2008 - 5:29 PM:

Simple HTML here. Maybe one of you can tell me why firefox is breaking everything.

Somehow, it seems that Firefox handles <select multiple> in a different and unknown way from what Opera and Konqueror do, and different from the W3C standard. This simplified test page validates, and works in Opera and Konqueror (presumably IE too), but in Firefox it doesn't pre-select the selected options and when you make a selection in one of the boxes it undoes your selection in the other box:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html><head><title>Test</title></head>
<body>
<form action="">

Box 1:<br>
<select multiple size="5" name="parsecodelinks[]">
<option value="title">title</option>
<option value="url">url</option>
<option value="description" selected>description</option>
<option value="email">email</option>
</select>

<br>Box 2:<br>
<select multiple size="5" name="parsecodecategories[]">
<option value="name">name</option>
<option value="description" selected>description</option>
<option value="custom">custom</option>
<option value="moderators">moderators</option>
</select>

</form>
</body>
</html>

Any ideas? Couldn't find anything relevant in google. Using Firefox 3 here. Do you get the same bad behavior in Firefox 2?

The result of this problem is that if you edit your settings in Firefox you lose all your code, smilie, required field etc selections.
hai
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 94
Total Comments: 339
hai
Posted Jun 30, 2008 - 7:49 PM:

Just tried the code for you with Homesite, Avant, IE7, Firefox 2 & Firefox3 - I also tried it in AOL for good measure. They all behave the same. Description is preselected in both boxes when viewing the page and changing a selection in one box doesn't affect the other. I've also tried the code locally - I'm running WinXP if that even matters - as well as remotely on one of my hosted sites which are on unix boxes.

I know you don't show it in this simplified code, but could you be using any styles that might be affecting firefox? Shot in the dark, but it's a thought.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 30, 2008 - 11:51 PM:

I tested the exact HTML above saved as "test.html" on my desktop, so no styles in the page, and I don't think Firefox offers user styles.

Anyhow that's good to hear, my Firefox version must just be broken (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061015 Firefox/3.0). Though how a version where common HTML doesn't work could ship or break after shipping I don't know.
babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Jul 01, 2008 - 1:07 AM:

Just to confirm it worked ok for me too in Firefox 2

Items were pre-selected, on changing it did not affect the other
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.