Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

How do I recover from getting hacked?
two WSNlinks sites on the same server hacked

Comments on How do I recover from getting hacked?

jamestrotta

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 10
Total Comments: 27
Posted Jan 21, 2006 - 4:30 AM:

www.stockmarketidea.com and www.travelplanidea.com were both hacked and they are on the same server. My other wsnlinks site on another server is just fine.

So what do I do now? Reinstall? Here are the new errors (I easily fixed the IF problem):

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/classes/database.php on line 82

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/classes/database.php on line 69

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/classes/database.php:82) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/prestart.php on line 123

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/classes/database.php on line 82

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/classes/database.php:82) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/commonfuncs.php on line 320

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/classes/database.php:82) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/commonfuncs.php on line 320

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/classes/database.php:82) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/seosearchengineranking/end.php on line 29
If you are not the administrator of this site, please report this page to the administrator. If you are the administrator, please pay careful attention: You have a parse error in your template templates/default/main.tpl (or perhaps in your header or footer) which you need to repair before this page can be displayed correctly. The error is picked up on by php at line 217 of the output.You appear to have a different number of opening <IF> conditionals than you do closing </IF> tags! (6 opening tags, 5 closing.) This is almost certainly the cause of your parse error. You must close every conditional you open.
Now outputing the page without any conditional or php sections evaluated:
{MAINMETA}
jamestrotta

Posted Jan 21, 2006 - 5:17 AM:

Maybe stupidly, I went ahead with the upgrade, or at least tried to. I sent everything via ftp and then went to upgrade.php and saw a big white screen. On the homepage I saw only:

Warning: main(classes/modlog.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/prestart.php on line 78

Warning: main(classes/modlog.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/prestart.php on line 78

Before uploading the new files I could still see my site underneath all those errors. Now I don't see my directory at all...

Please help!
jamestrotta

Posted Jan 21, 2006 - 5:26 AM:

Well there certainly seems to be some problem with modlog.php: there are all these weird symbols in there. All the other files seem to ahve dowloaded fine...
jamestrotta

Posted Jan 21, 2006 - 5:34 AM:

I put the modlog.php in this post and that seemed to delete the weird symbols. However, now I get on upgrade.php:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare generatelinksoptions() (previously declared in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/admin/admincommonfuncs.php:406) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/admin/adminfunctions.php on line 3

on the homepage:

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php on line 82

Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php on line 69

Warning: mysql_list_fields(): Unable to save MySQL query result in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php on line 29

Warning: mysql_num_fields(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php on line 31

Warning: mysql_list_fields(): Unable to save MySQL query result in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php on line 29

Warning: mysql_num_fields(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php on line 31

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php on line 82

Warning: mysql_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php on line 226

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php:82) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/commonfuncs.php on line 442

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php:82) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/commonfuncs.php on line 451

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php:82) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/commonfuncs.php on line 442

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php:82) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/commonfuncs.php on line 451

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php:82) in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/end.php on line 142

Warning: mysql_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/jtrotta/public_html/stockmarketidea/classes/database.php on line 226

{MAINMETA} Choose Category

I have no idea what to do next. Everything I do seems to make thigs worse.
jamestrotta

Posted Jan 21, 2006 - 6:36 AM:

My host sent me this:

What format are your backups in or do you just have the regular files on your computer? If so, make sure you upload them in ASCII mode and not Binary. This was caused by a global PHP exploit which our new security configuration is going to be blocking.

Does that mean I should upload the wsnlinks 3.15 files?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jan 22, 2006 - 5:39 PM:

I would naturally suggest uploading the current version's files and upgrading, but you can upload 3.15 if you want. If you still see mysql errors, you should of course post the debug output like the pinned thread says, but I'd guess it means your config.php is bad and you should see the manual entry to rewrite it.

A more secure host might be in order as well.
jamestrotta

Posted Jan 22, 2006 - 11:55 PM:

Thank you for the reply. I reuploaded 3.15 and the php errors are gone. I still have some issues suchs as the site title: {SITETITLE}: Main

and this at the top of the page: {MAINMETA}

There appears to be some sort of css issue witht he css not being called. I'm not sure what to do about that. When I view the html output I see <link rel="stylesheet" href="{DIRURL}/templates/styles/{STYLESHEET}.css" type="text/css"> - How do I fix that?

For those of you reading this and wondering about the security of WSNlinks, this is entirely the fault of my web host as they explained to me that a general php exploit was the culprit.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jan 23, 2006 - 9:17 PM:

Sounds like none of your settings variables work. Is the wsnlinks_settings table of your database dead, in need of being repaired in phpmyadmin? That should give a mysql warning though.
jamestrotta

Posted Jan 25, 2006 - 1:21 AM:

Thank you for the response Paul. I don't know what the problem was but paying 15.00 for a restore (my host does weekly backups) did the trick. I'm glad its fixed.

For those of you worried about your php scripts' security, I was using hostgator.com and I used to recommend them wholeheartedly (most people still do) and they have great reviews all over the web. Obviously their server security leaves something to be desired (although my phpbb forum scripts were unaffected by the php exploit).
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.