Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

How would you accomplish this...
Changing the look and feel to match my message board

Comments on How would you accomplish this...

nelgin

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 39
Total Comments: 100
nelgin
How would you accomplish this...
Posted Sep 17, 2012 - 10:05 AM:

Right now I'm using MyBB for my message board with WNS Links installed in a links subdirectory. With Paul's help, the user logins and integrated and I'm happy at this point.

What I now want to do it have a more integrated look and feel. The message board and slightly different border, a header, links, a welcome block, and a "breadcrumb" followed by the content.

I suppose I have two options.

First, I would create a MyBB page which would display the headers, then run WSN Links from that webpage, which would mean altering WSN Links to not output HTTP headers and use those from MYBB.

The other option would be to modify WSN Links to pull the headers from MyBB and display those in the templates.

Either way, I'll need to alter the CSS to the styles match.

Basically looking for suggestions on how I'm going to achieve this.

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Sep 17, 2012 - 1:09 PM:

I'd think it'd be a lot safer and simpler to just copy the mybb html into the WSN wrapper template and include the mybb stylesheet tag in the WSN wrapper template.

Of course, the mybb template variables will have to be replaced with their WSN equivalents.
nelgin

nelgin
Posted Sep 17, 2012 - 3:22 PM:

Well, the welcome block pulls in information about PM's, offers a mod, or admin link, and other information so there's php included. I guess I would include the php to pull that into the wsn template?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 21, 2012 - 9:10 PM:

Perhaps if http://community.mybb.com/thread-116225.html can work with the header template... WSN will have to integrate its own stuff into the HTML header somehow though so there's still going to be a lot of coding.
nelgin

nelgin
Posted Sep 23, 2012 - 12:16 AM:

You can't run php within a MyBB template like you can with WSNLinks (which is maybe a good thing for security purposes). If that was the case it's be somewhat easier. I'm not sure that the snipped displays the full headers either.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 26, 2012 - 8:05 AM:

All I get from that code is a 500 error when used within WSN. Apparently some variable or something defined by WSN somewhere breaks MyBB. I can get it to work as a separate file, maybe iframe it.

(which is maybe a good thing for security purposes)

If untrusted people are editing your templates, you have no security already. They'll be inserting ads, redirects and javascript and flash viruses.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.