Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

Just a few questions more...
I promise!

Comments on Just a few questions more...

Hope

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 5
Total Comments: 12
Hope
Posted Mar 30, 2006 - 7:08 PM:

My subcategory descriptions are not showing up on any pages. If I add a description to a main category, it shows up on the main index page but that's it. {CATDESCRIPTION} is definitely on the displaylinks.tpl so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here. I would think descriptions would be possible for subcategories but if not, does that mean I have to create a custom variable or am I going blind as I get older? shaking head I've been searching the forum - I swear!

Next question - and I've searched quite a bit and can't seem to find this either. How do I force links to open the "details" page rather than go to the URL? Then, on the detail page, the link would send the visitor to the website. I can't seem to find this though I do think it's possible as I've seen other sites running WSNLinks that appear to do this. Is it because I'm using the basic version? I do see there is a details link under the description, but I'd rather have the link title automatically open to the detail page.

Last question... I have read a few posts but still not sure if it's possible. I'd like to make the link description only have a partial of the full description. I've tried using this: {LINKDESCRIPTION[20]} but it's not working. Is this due to operator error or the fact I'm using the basic version?

Thanks.

Hope
mrowton
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 57
Total Comments: 185
mrowton
Posted Mar 31, 2006 - 7:57 AM:

My subcategory descriptions are not showing up on any pages. If I add a description to a main category, it shows up on the main index page but that's it.

When you are actually on a subcategory page you don't see the description? Or do you mean that when you are on a top level category, it lists the subcategories bud doesn't put each subcategories description on this list?

How do I force links to open the "details" page rather than go to the URL?

Look at your show links in category template, you will see something like

<a href="{TRACKLINKURL}" {EXTERNALLINKS}>{LINKTITLE}</a>

Replace this with something like

<a href="{LINKDETAILSURL}">{LINKTITLE}</a>

Not that if you use multiple link types (recip and regular for example) then you will need to change this in multiple places on your category template.

I've tried using this: {LINKDESCRIPTION[20]} but it's not working.

I do this and it works fine, so you will need to wait for Paul. Does {LINKDESCRIPTIONSENTENCE} work?
Hope

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 5
Total Comments: 12
Hope
Posted Mar 31, 2006 - 9:11 AM:

I am such a noob! rolling eyes
mrowton wrote:
When you are actually on a subcategory page you don't see the description? Or do you mean that when you are on a top level category, it lists the subcategories bud doesn't put each subcategories description on this list?
No, my mistake. I was in the subcategory where the links display and it doesn't display there but does display on the level above which is fine.

<a href="https://www.webmastersite.net/forums/link.php?id=6299" target="_blank">{LINKTITLE}</a>
Replace this with something like
<a href="https://www.webmastersite.net/forums/{LINKDETAILSURL}">{LINKTITLE}</a>
Perfect. Worked like a charm!

I do this and it works fine, so you will need to wait for Paul. Does {LINKDESCRIPTIONSENTENCE} work?
Yes, and so does {LINKDESCRIPTION[#]}. I didn't realize there were two places in the template needing changed. Once I changed both - it worked. No need to wait for Paul. shocked

Thank you, thank you, mrowton! Because of you, I was able to get these solved so I appreciate your time and patience!

Hope
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.