Comments on Link ID / Related Links / Alias

zippo
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 48
Total Comments: 166
zippo
Posted Jan 25, 2006 - 7:00 AM:

I have worked with the related link field with a vary small directory without using any aliased links. Pretty straight forward..

What is causing me problems now though is that it appears that the related links must be the 'base id' and that is kind of hard to figure out with a populated directory.

I've tried using some of the id=<nn> values for related link data and apparently I need to figure out the base ID or something. I've entered obvious alias ID (id=127 where there are only 55 'real' links) assuming those URL id= values are what I think they are..

I am seeing the related links simply referencing the same link I added the related link ID to..

EG:

Link 75
Add related ID of 119
View link 75
Related link is link 75

Assuming I am correct that I need to get down to the heart of the matter and use the 'real' link IDs for related entries, how to figure this out?

I've not come across anything I can recall in the browsing of the directory or in the admin area. I am guessing that my best next step is to fire up phpmyadmin and use the lower records or cull out those that somehow are identified as alias links... Uggg.

Unless I am completely off base here, it would be nice if there was a list feature in the admin area that would show something like:

link ID alias title (30 char) related
------- ----- ------------------------------ -------------------------------
001 N This is link one 45,48,60
002 N This is link two
045 Y This is link one
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jan 25, 2006 - 8:25 PM:

If I understand you, you're saying that type an alias' id as a related link doesn't work. If so that would be a bug, will test it.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Jan 26, 2006 - 5:16 AM:

smiling face Yes that is the jist of it. I wasn't certain if I was seeing what I should expect or not so wasn't sure if it should be considered a bug.

In any event a report like I mentioned could be a handy way to survey a links collection.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jan 29, 2006 - 3:17 AM:

Tested. Typing an alias' id as a related link id works fine, shows up in related list as normal.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Jan 29, 2006 - 9:51 PM:

I've removed all alias from the links and moved all to 'top' level categories now and will see if I can replicate what I had happened.

Perhaps there was something to do with the depth of the sub-categories and my initial placements of some links?

EG: Some links I placed in a 'top' category, aiased to child subs and also to other categories and sub-category.

Some links I initially placed in a sub-category but then aliased to other categories and subs.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.