listing submission preview blank

Comments on listing preview

RF

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 8
Total Comments: 19
RF
Posted May 20, 2010 - 7:53 PM:

Just noticed on my install that as a guest with switch "Can edit full details (rating, views, etc)" unchecked previewing a listing submission gives a blank preview window(firefox) or HTTP500 error(explorer) . Checking the edit full details box for guest - everything is working again during listing preview.

Can anyone else verify yes/no? Thanks.

In addtion, seeing a few of these around the same time.

PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected ')' in public_html/links/includes/commonfuncs.php(1347) : eval()'d code on line 314 
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted May 20, 2010 - 8:54 PM:

I do get a template error in the scenario described, will be fixed in the next beta release tonight, though it's not a blank/500 when you have output buffering.

RF wrote:
PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ')' in public_html/links/includes/commonfuncs.php(1347) : eval()'d code on line 314

This indicates there's an error in the template conditional on the page, but your server has output buffering turned off preventing WSN from being able to display a more informative error detailing what's wrong with the template.

Output buffering is a basic requirement (see servertest.php for an evaluation of which requirements your site fails) and is enabled by default in PHP. Not sure how/why it would end up disabled on your server. Besides the less informative errors, some functions may simply break. I can't think of any that do off hand, but I develop on the assumption that everybody has output buffering.
RF

RF
Posted May 21, 2010 - 1:23 PM:

Thanks Paul

Output buffering - that's right!, I did disabled reporting in .htaccess (ages ago) to have it spit to a log file instead of being displayed to general public. Just paranoid having someone seeing error report.

Yes, i now see the full parse error in detail. Will wait for your beta fix tonight.

Question?: Will below in .htaccess cause any issues with wsnlinks(performance,etc) other than less detailed error reporting? Pretty much did a cut/paste without fully understanding what each line does.

# supress php errors
php_flag display_startup_errors off
php_flag display_errors off
php_flag html_errors off
php_value docref_root 0
php_value docref_ext 0
php_flag log_errors on
php_value error_log /home/xxx/PHP_errors.log

-again thx! -Rich
RF

RF
Posted May 21, 2010 - 6:33 PM:

5.1.35 Beta 3 update did the trick. Thanks -Rich
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted May 21, 2010 - 11:37 PM:

startup_errors would mean PHP itself is broken somehow rather than the script. Wouldn't it be better to have them on but write them to the log instead of display?

html_errors is off on all production servers I believe, so superfluous to turn off but not harmful.

The error log won't get the details and ability to click to send a bug report, of course.

To prevent visitors from seeing errors, you can select to suppress all errors for non-admin in the debug mode options at admin -> settings -> system.
RF

RF
Posted May 22, 2010 - 12:03 AM:

I agree. Worth removing and running supress all errors for non-admin as you suggest. I was using this .htaccess globally across all my domains in the past. That is no longer the case.

Thx -Rich
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.