Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

Multilingual templates missing?

Comments on Multilingual templates missing?

Jenny
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 64
Total Comments: 199
Jenny
Posted Aug 25, 2009 - 6:18 AM:

I'm trying to get my directory up and running again - just moved to a completely new server and ugraded to 5.0.64.
During the upgrade I got an error message telling me that I'm running a multilingual installation and I only have a default template set. But I only ever used the English-only version, never a multilingual one. I tried to find something in the settings to see if I can "switch back" to English-only if anything got accidentally changed, but no luck so far ... :-(

Also, this is being displayed on top of all pages:

Error: The file ../default/pagination.tpl does not exist.
Error: The file ../default/paginationfull.tpl does not exist.
Error: The file ../default/navigation.tpl does not exist.

all three templates are there, not empty, have proper permissions, etc...

help, please? :-)

Thanks.

ETA: I just realized that exactly a year ago I had the same problem, so I tried what I did before, but this time it didn't work. Since I'm starting over anyway, I simply uploaded all original files of 5.0.64, changed permissions, double checked the FTP and path info ... nothing. In fact, changing the path in config.php screwed it up even more, so I changed it back.
Additional templates are "missing" like linkbit.tpl, so I can't even see the links. Also, /admin displays only the three error lines above, unformatted, and nothing else.

I think it's time to give you FTP access like you suggested last time ... I'm gonna send you a message with a login.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Aug 27, 2009 - 10:27 PM:

During the upgrade I got an error message telling me that I'm running a multilingual installation and I only have a default template set. But I only ever used the English-only version, never a multilingual one.

Ok then, you need to use the english language file -- you've been using the fullenglish one intended for the multilingual, maybe because some upgrade problem years ago caused it to get transformed, or you were copying files around out of the setup directory for some reason, who knows. You can convert to english-only by clicking Admin Panel -> Customizations -> Languages -> "Clean out all unused items in English".

I've just clicked that for you.

Error: The file ../default/pagination.tpl does not exist.
Error: The file ../default/paginationfull.tpl does not exist.
Error: The file ../default/navigation.tpl does not exist.

It seems when the selected template set is nonexistant, the function that finds a valid one wasn't working right.

I've deleted your templates/multilingual.

You deleted your /templates/ directory and uploaded a generic copy of the /templates/ directory, apparently. I don't know why you'd ever do that, but when you do you need to delete the subdirectory that isn't applicable to you.

Were you upgrading from a years-old version? With recent upgrades there's no reason to be reverting templates.
Jenny
Forum Regular

Jenny
Posted Sep 14, 2009 - 6:04 AM:

Thanks, Paul, I was ready to give up on this.

You deleted your /templates/ directory and uploaded a generic copy of the /templates/ directory, apparently. I don't know why you'd ever do that, but when you do you need to delete the subdirectory that isn't applicable to you.

When the script couldn't find those templates I uploaded all templates files from the original installation to see if it makes a difference. Obviously it didn't

I've started working on the site again, updating the templates and everything seems to be working fine again - until I try to use the auto-upgrade. Then I get this error:

---------------------------------
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@link-lounge.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------

Some other admin pages - bulk edit links/categories - are giving me the same error.

and another thing I just noticed - I aliased categories, and now I can't access them anymore. They vanished from the original parent category, show up as a subcategory of the new parent category, but when I click them I get a "No such content exists" error. Tried regenerating categories, but didn't help. And since I can't access the bulk edit category page I can't try to fix it through the admin.
Jenny
Forum Regular

Jenny
Posted Sep 14, 2009 - 11:28 AM:

apparently file permissions were all over the place, so I was able to fix the internal server errors and could run the upgrade. Still no luck on the "lost" categories though
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 15, 2009 - 5:33 PM:

Can you reproduce this alias problem? I can't see it.
Jenny
Forum Regular

Jenny
Posted Sep 19, 2009 - 2:55 PM:

I found another instance of this that I haven't noticed before. I did give you a login, didn't I?

There is a subcategory of "Computers and Internet" called "Competitions" here: link-lounge.com/links/index...=displaycat&catid=1943. It has the ID 80 and it's supposed to have 28 links, but it's empty and the navigation shows that it's a subcagetory of "Hobbies" now. However when I switch to that category, there is no subcategory by the name of "Competitions". When I look it up in phpMyAdmin I can see both 'versions' of the category, one with the ID 80 with 28 links, which is supposed to be the subcat of "Hobbies" and one with the ID of 1948 with 27 links, which is supposed to be the subcat of "Computers and Internet". But here I cannot find any links in category 1948 and only 2 in category 80.

I find this very confusing and it's a bit tedious to get those links back into an existing category...

ETA: so I played around, did some manual tweaking in phpMyAdmin and restored the missing "Competitions" directory so it appears in both parent categories and is accessible. After regenerating however it shows 0 links and I haven't figured out how to get them back again :-(

BTW, "Show deleted links" really only shows the links that I have deleted on purpose, not the ones that are supposed to be there.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 22, 2009 - 5:08 AM:

There is a subcategory of "Computers and Internet" called "Competitions" here: link-lounge.com/links/index...x...=displaycat&catid=1943. It has the ID 80 and it's supposed to have 28 links, but it's empty and the navigation shows that it's a subcagetory of "Hobbies" now.

Is this now a 5.1 series copy and an alias category? When you edit a category that has an alias, there's a 5.1 bug causing the original to be moved to the alias location and treated as an alias to itself, so that it doesn't work.

This is fixed in 5.1.2 including the already-released beta 1. I'm not sure if there's any way to automate a fix to previously-wrecked categories, since it can't know what the parent is supposed to be -- the only way is to use phpmyadmin to set 'alias' to 0 and 'parent' to the correct parent category id.

Or maybe you're talking about something totally different.

I did give you a login, didn't I?

Probably at some time in the past, but I get close to a hundred emails a week at busy times like a new series release.
Jenny
Forum Regular

Jenny
Posted Sep 22, 2009 - 7:22 AM:

I had this problem in 5.0.69 and fixed it all manually before I switched the clone to 5.1. The only thing was since I disabled aliasing again it wasn't easy to "un-alias" some categories and links ;-) But I think I managed it. I'm gonna ugrade the clone to 5.1.2 now and see what happens.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.