Comments on New Posts on the forum

DR
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 41
Total Comments: 115
DR
Posted Feb 22, 2006 - 3:48 PM:

When I have logged in to the forum as a member - (the forum for WSN Links) and I click on "New" - as in new messages on the forum .. and even when I manually ( Choose New messages since last log-in) I still get some older messages ... that I know I saw the last time I logged in - ( and no they haven't just been updated with a new reply ...

I saw this same instance when trying it with WSN links on my Local Server test installation ..

Searched for a posting/solution/bug report on this - but didn't find anything.

Thanks again for your time ..

DR
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Feb 26, 2006 - 12:14 AM:

Can't duplicate, shows only new ones to me.
zippo
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 48
Total Comments: 166
zippo
Posted Feb 26, 2006 - 2:33 AM:

I get this also, more commonly with the WSN Forum support forum. For instance, today I login and check new messages. The same three messages (all 3 I believe dated Feb 23rd) that I was shown as new on my previous login are listed.

I used to notice it more on these forums, but for whatever reason it's not so common anymore. However, on this login I check new and I see the same list that I was shown just a few minutes ago -- after having logged out of this forum to login to the WSN Forum support forum.

I always (99% of the time anyhow) login and logout on each session, not using the cookie (Make me login again every: from profile) to keep me logged in..
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Feb 28, 2006 - 12:33 AM:

Erm, you can't not use the cookie unless you're a magician who rewrites the scripts on the fly and places your revision on the server.

Anyhow, 'since last login' will mean since the last session start, not the current one -- it's not very useful to show you what's new since you logged in 20 seconds ago.

I see the same list that I was shown just a few minutes ago -- after having logged out

The admin panel setting for the number of minutes determines when the session ends, I believe.
zippo
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 48
Total Comments: 166
zippo
Posted Feb 28, 2006 - 12:24 PM:

I was just meaning that I do have to login each time I visit here since I logout each time. As opposed to how I work with my own sites, never having to log back in when I visit -- I assume this is allowing the cookie to keep me logged in, since I don't logout. Perhaps "not using the cookie" isn't the correct term.

Moot, whatever the termonolgy should be.. Fact remains it's been several hours (6+) since I logged out from my last visit here and I still have two pages of new messages, mostly ones that I've read.

I'd think that manually logging out would reset or ensure the session is deleted. In any event, new posts seems to be hit or miss in that known read messages and threads are showing up in the list.

If there is some specific procedure of use to make the feature work more predictable I've not figured it out/don't normally use it, although have apparently used it a few times.

Given that the only thing I do usually is logout/in each time, perhaps the times I just closed my browser and didn't logout are when I got the expected results. I am going to refrain from logout use for a while and see if that makes a difference.

If so, it would appear that allowing the session to time out via the script works and is somehow not the same as loging out -- which for new posts I'd figure the results would be the same.

update:
FWIW, I just used new posts, after posting this and I have only 1 post listed, this one. Which is perhaps correct, although I am not positive that I have actually viewed the other post that I wrote this sitting.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.