Comments on Pagination - Categories

sparkalina
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 70
Total Comments: 211
Posted Jun 16, 2011 - 1:58 PM:

On ReelLocations, we have over 550 sub categories under cat# 59

Upon clicking any numeral page link for category pagination, the list remains the same.

I'm not sure if this is related to the same issue we had for listings repeating themselves but I made sure to compare my code against the new templates in 6.1.2 and didn't see any difference other than aethetic.

Any recommendations for displaying 550 sub categories such that it's not confusing to viewers (pagination of categories makes logistical sense but is somewhat confusing when there is pagination on the listings too) or makes it easy to choose on if we go with a top list (server heavy I'm sure)?

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Jun 17, 2011 - 9:25 PM:

Well the only user friendly way to select from 550 is to put them into sub-subcategories organized.

Testing subcat pagination in a new install, it works correctly. Must be something specific to the reellocations site, will check later.

If you mean a toplist to show all subcategories, just set the categories per page to 99999 instead. That'll be extremely slow though, probably not manage to load 550 without out of memory / timeout errors. And finding something out of 550 in a list isn't easy for a user.
sparkalina
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 70
Total Comments: 211
Posted Jun 17, 2011 - 9:27 PM:

No rush. If it works elsewhere, no need right now. I've found a useful work around with scrollable divs and a top list for just that parent category.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.