Performance with Many Subcategories

Comments on Performance with Many Subcategories

Emory

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 9
Total Comments: 21
Emory
Posted Oct 10, 2005 - 9:12 PM:

I have almost 200 subcategories in one category here: http://www.jumpon.info/Locations. I want to limit the subcategories or somehow improve the load time of the page. If I limit the items per page in General, there is no way to reach those pages other than the site map or details pages. Does someone have a way to limit the subcategories and show a "more..."?
Thanks.

capitaine
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 94
Total Comments: 272
Posted Oct 11, 2005 - 5:51 PM:

You limit the subcats from Settings/Categories/Max subforums to show on main page

But your page loads fine, so whats the problem.... and besides I have over 2200 categories (categories, sub-categories, sub-sub-cats, sub-sub-sub-cats, etc) and it loads fine (not lightning fast, but not bad, but I think thats because the software has so much going on...)
Emory

Emory
Posted Oct 11, 2005 - 9:18 PM:

It looks like its categories and not subcategories on that page. If I set categories under 200, they drop off the page with no way to reach them. It's taking me about 5 seconds to load with a high speed connection. sad
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Oct 11, 2005 - 9:51 PM:

You reach subcategories by clicking the main category and then the subcategory. Not sure what you're talking about.
Emory

Emory
Posted Oct 12, 2005 - 10:07 PM:

On the page I listed, how do I limit them and link to the remaining ones with "more...?"
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Oct 13, 2005 - 12:52 AM:

When you have 200 categories, the script automatically refuses to allow you to show subcategories on the main page because it would slow things down too much and I'm tired of listening to people saying it's slow.

If you're thinking that limiting it to 10 or something would make it faster, it would not, it needs to be 0 to avoid the hefty query.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.