Comments on Possible? Limit by subdomain

icbbs
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 7
icbbs
Posted Feb 25, 2009 - 12:40 PM:

I know it's a long shot, but here goes anyway.

In an ideal world, I would have wsnlinks limit the information available (categories, links, etc) based on the subdomain that was requested.

In other words, I would have one wsn installation with (in this case) a category structure with the top level being states, and subcategories consisting of major cities in those states. When someone requested, for instance, losangeles.mydomain.com, the data available to them (including searches) would be limited to that category and any subcategories it contained.

I can do some apache redirects or rewrites to just send a visitor to that category, but ideally I'd like to limit the info presented to just that category.

Any chance that's possible out-of-the-box? smiling face

If not (I'm expecting), how tough would it be to hack that functionality into it? I'm new to wsn and haven't looked over the code at all, so I don't know how easily something like this could be implemented.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Feb 25, 2009 - 6:17 PM:

Top level categories as subdomains are an option on the SEO page, but that won't filter searches (unless you only allow in-category searches) and won't apply to lower level subcategories.

I suppose you could make a separate advanced search page for each category by using a link that passes the category id and using that to pre-fill the category limitations box values. A bit messy but might not take too long.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.