fuzy
Beginner

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 3
fuzy
question about versions
Posted Sep 25, 2011 - 5:53 PM:

i only have a small personal website for non-profit and basically testing things.
its not a high traffic site or anything id make money on to justify paying right now.
going all out on a paid version at this time would seem overkill.

But i did download this WSN Links Version 3.3.21P to try it out before,
and I have saved the setup package.
I believe at the time it was released as free to use.
I am wondering if it would still be considered as free, (to use)
without being required to pay to use it..

or would there be another option you could offer on an updated preview or free version.
unsure but does not hurt to ask.
thanks
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
1 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted Sep 26, 2011 - 12:45 AM:

3.3.2 has multiple critical security holes which are regularly exploited by script kiddies doing automated attacks. You may as well save a step and just post an ad on craigslist with your FTP account details asking if any hackers would like to own your site for illegal activities. You may not care but others may be harmed by what they do using your site. Using any ancient software on the internet is never safe, do not download old scripts, use up to date free scripts instead. Never use an unmaintained script or a script where the upgrade process is complex enough that you won't bother or where it doesn't inform you of important updates in the admin panel.

3.3.2 also doesn't work correctly with any modern secure version of PHP -- requires PHP 4.x.

5.1.47 is also a three year old version that should never be used. The versions that should be used are the latest of their series -- 6.2.4, 6.1.15, 6.0.31 and 5.1.61 and are currently supported. Currently only 30 day free trials are offered of those. I do have 4.1.78 online for free download: http://scripts.webmastersite.net/wsnlinks/wsnlinks.zip . I don't recall any significant security risks in it, but since you wouldn't have access to the customer update channels it would still present a long term risk of becoming out of date. Would be fine for just testing things though, at least for now, and should run correctly on modern PHP 5 versions.

Note that non-profit sites quality for half-price discounts on WSN scripts, $99.
fuzy
Beginner

fuzy
Posted Sep 26, 2011 - 4:42 AM:

hi Paul, thank you,
id love to give the 4.1.78 version a try, but the link you provided does not work.
all i get a "The page you've requested, /wsnlinks/wsnlinks.zip, no longer exists"
if you could either supply a working link or email the link to me,
id appreciate it very much Paul.
thanks ahead of time
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Sep 28, 2011 - 9:43 AM:

Fixed the link.
fuzy
Beginner

fuzy
Posted Sep 28, 2011 - 10:37 AM:

thanks Paul
grin
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.