Shopping cart options

Comments on Shopping cart options

webflair
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 187
Total Comments: 465
Posted Mar 25, 2011 - 5:48 AM:

I have a few photographers who want me to create a gallery for them where they can sell their photographs...

However, I need to use the shopping cart, and I need for buyers to be able to select photo size (different price for each photo size) and finish, gloss or lustre.

Is this possible?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Mar 29, 2011 - 6:44 AM:

There was supposed to have been a way to add options to the cart, but it's undocumented and I'm not seeing how it'd work. Researching.

The shopping cart means the payments go to you though, not to them. I'm working on an option for submitters to include a payment button to send payments directly to them.
webflair
Forum Regular

Posted Mar 29, 2011 - 6:55 AM:

No, that's right... Just one photographer will own the site and ALL of the images. So the shopping cart only need to collect money for one person, the site owner.

Paul, if you can make this work like the following, I have lots of photographers who are looking to me to build proofing galleries for them (3 already booked)...

* When a gallery is created, prices can be set that will apply to all pictures in that gallery.
* Price options will include various images sizes and finishes (ideally these can be set up in admin)

The rest is already there.

I have many photographer clients and I;m keen to sell all of them their own gallery site. I'm really hoping to use WSN gallery for this because I am so familiar with it and I would like to support WSN products if I can.

Please let me know ASAP if you think this can be done and a rough idea of how long it will take to create. That way I can make final decision what software to use.

Thanks

Paul

Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 29, 2011 - 7:45 AM:

Figured it out and added the details to the knowledge base entry: scripts.webmastersite.net/w...hes/shopping-cart-527.html
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 29, 2011 - 7:56 AM:

jayweb wrote:
* Price options will include various images sizes and finishes (ideally these can be set up in admin)

The options system doesn't currently alter the price. I'm not sure how that could work. It would add a set amount to the price? If it's always that simple (no multipliers, subtractors or whatever) I could do that with a cartoption1pricebump field fairly easily. So say $30 to do that as a custom project if that's the case.

jayweb wrote:
* When a gallery is created, prices can be set that will apply to all pictures in that gallery.

By gallery do you mean category, or the entire site? Either way this should be $25.
webflair
Forum Regular

Posted Mar 29, 2011 - 8:14 AM:

A done deal, I will happily pay that.

The photographer who owns the site should be able to set up a category and set prices for different size images in the category options.

Then when images are added to that category, those size and price options are available for each image in that category.

Each category may have different prices for each photo size.

Also, options such as Gloss, Lustre, Black and White and Sepia should be selectable in the shopping cart.

The idea is that photographers can take photos at a wedding (for example) and then let the client view the photos and buy them in whatever size and finish they want to. A photographer may charge more per picture for a business photo shoot than they do for a wedding photo shoot, which is why the prices must be adjustable on a per category basis.

If this can be done, I would like to go ahead. Definitely. Can you just confirm for sure you can do what I need above and that it will be $55

Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 30, 2011 - 8:22 PM:

This sounds very different from what I was discussing, then. I was talking about the ability to set option a as bumping the price by $x when selected, and this would all be set inside the template. I think you're talking about some sort of interface on the submit/edit category page? A visual sketch of what you want this interface to look like would be very helpful.

So you want the cart options to be generated from prompts on edit category, not placed in the template? It would simulate the admin add fields page interface or something, asking people if they want a selector, input box etc? And then how exactly would it visually ask what way an option value would alter a price? I'm having trouble imagining any possible interface for this which is simpler than writing than them out template html.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 30, 2011 - 9:49 PM:

Also, by
Also, options such as Gloss, Lustre, Black and White and Sepia should be selectable in the shopping cart.
you mean in the cart itself, not just on the details page?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 31, 2011 - 4:10 AM:

I'm working cart enhancements tonight for the 6.1 series that should fulfill most but not all of your criteria. I'll get these finished in the coming days and see at that point how realistic/quick it could be to add your other requirements.
webflair
Forum Regular

#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 31, 2011 - 6:24 AM:

If you look at this page caseymacphoto.photoshelter....y/Places/G0000fCoQw30r5BE/

Click on the buy now buttons.

It doesn't have to be Jquery popup like that, it can just be on the details page next to the photo, but thay are the sort of options I mean.
Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 31, 2011 - 8:05 PM:

That page doesn't show me the interface to add options. That's what doesn't seem logically possible to design. The only thing I can think of is a series of "what value would you like to add? what option would you like to associate this value with? what price bump would you like to assosciate?" questions, but that could make it take the user hours to do what would take a couple minutes in HTML. Not to mention the hours of development time involved in making things much slower for the user. So surely you must have a better way in mind?

Getting a table like that with the options associated to each other in that way is likely to be a problem too though.
Paul
developer

Paul
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 03, 2011 - 8:16 AM:

Ok I have an idea for an interface that's working out alright so far. I'll set up a demo soon.
Paul
developer

Paul
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 06, 2011 - 3:59 PM:

Demo info: http://sandbox.webmastersite.net/wsngallery61/
username admin password **** [removed password before google will index it -- you can install or upgrade to 6.1 yourself now]

How is this compared to what you're looking for?
webflair
Forum Regular

#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 19, 2011 - 11:26 AM:

It's not really ideal.

I could set it up, but my clients (photographers) would have a hard time understanding it.

It would be better like this....

Each different item (photo size, keyring, fridge magnet, whatever) is set up as a custom category field.
When creating category (gallery) these custom fields are used to set the price for each item
Somehow these custom fields are used in the shopping cart as options

Possible?
Price?
Paul
developer

Paul
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 23, 2011 - 4:39 PM:

I don't see how the custom fields wouldn't be less intuitive. Or actually, I don't see how they'd make any difference at all to the interface. How it's handled on the backend code can't be relevant. You're going to need to show me a mockup of the interface you have in mind if you want a different interface.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.