Comments on Uh, maybe some new insight

zippo
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 48
Total Comments: 166
zippo
Posted Oct 03, 2006 - 8:18 PM:

Just to recap since I don't want to go and dig up all my earlier posts on this...
I just logged in after a couple/few weeks of not visiting this forum.

New posts showed 3 pages of new posts.. I wrote a message and then new posts were reduced to 1 post -- my new message.

FWIW this is in Firefox 1.5.0.7 so this at least side steps any issues with Opera..

Anyhow, after seeing the same old occurance as described above I'm staring at the new posts since [last login] and am thinking that maybe once I post (or maybe a certain amount of time passes this session?) somehow the "last login" time is being changed from my 'practicle last login' 3 weeks ago to the 'literal last login' that was 30-35 minutes ago -- hence my new message -is- the only new message.

All I do know is that it's aggrevating since now I can't go and read what has been posted since my last login through the new messages function.. sad
babrees
Expert

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Oct 03, 2006 - 11:01 PM:

I just go by the yellow bullet
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Oct 04, 2006 - 8:32 AM:

Hmm. I will admit that I have never paid a lot of attention to those.

That sounds easier than it really is though since not all new posts are in 1 forum / sub forum and not all are going to be yellow.

I'm going to try and pay attention to those now though and see what goes. Upon my login just now there were 8 new messages shown with the 'New Message' link.

I expect that will be reduced to 1 after this post. Oddly enough it's not always true, hence the pondering of the time passed in the initial message. This should be a quick write of about 3-4 minutes. A lot of times I'm sitting in the compose message mode for 30+ minutes before I submit. smiling face

PS: just had to add that the new posts were NOT cleared to 1 message this time.. acting pretty much as usual, but does lend itself to some sort of time lapsed since login culpret maybe.
babrees
Expert

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Oct 04, 2006 - 8:45 AM:

zippo wrote:

That sounds easier than it really is though since not all new posts are in 1 forum / sub forum and not all are going to be yellow.

OK I admit I am subscribed so that I am told when there are new messages grin

If I were left to just pop in when I thought about it I would never remember to!!

TBH I have never really thought of using the New Posts! ho hum
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Oct 04, 2006 - 9:04 AM:

I'll contend that a new posts feature can be daunting for forums with much activity. I find myself just looking for what floats to the top on very active forums or just use search since I am usually looking for something specific.

I simply noticed the quirkiness of it and it kind of sticks out now.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.