babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Nov 22, 2007 - 10:02 PM:

Hi Paul

I have just changed host (now on Liquid Web). Moved http://britishdogbreeders.co.uk and it *looks* ok so far, although early days and I haven't been right through it yet. However, when I first went on to the site I had errors concernting filefunctions.tpl, but when I refreshed they didn't reappear.

I then went to upgrade. I corrected ftp settings and made sure my password was in to access the upgrade.

After click upgrade I get warnings and then it tells me bad password. I checked and the password had disappeared.

debug is attached.

I have checked chmod on files and directories, and all appear correct.

I moved by uploading the files of the latest version I had (4.1.15), then exporting database and importing it all via phpmyadmin.

[edit] I am also suddenly getting a lot of spam. Guests can make comments, but it needs to be validated so at least it isn't getting onto the site. - oh, just seen that it doesn't look as though GD is set up! I'm off out now but will sort that bit out when I get back.

Attached Files:
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Nov 23, 2007 - 8:31 AM:

Liquid Web is my host (using their VPS plan 1), haven't had any trouble with them.

I'd need to know what the errors said to know what they mean. Probably chmod permissions on something.

I believe you used to be on one of those CGI-mode 755 hosts. If you still have the directories set to 755, that'll stop everything from working -- liquidweb runs as apache so it needs 777.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Nov 23, 2007 - 8:49 AM:

Paul wrote:

I believe you used to be on one of those CGI-mode 755 hosts. If you still have the directories set to 755, that'll stop everything from working -- liquidweb runs as apache so it needs 777.

Yes, you are correct. I have just tried changing them to 777 and am having a problem as they keep changing back to 755!!!
webflair
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 187
Total Comments: 465
Posted Nov 23, 2007 - 8:55 AM:

I had that problem, only the other way round.

I system configuration, make sure the bit that says CHMOD value for directories to allow files to be created in them: 777

Otherwise they can change back to 755 every time you update the system configuration page, I believe.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Nov 23, 2007 - 8:59 AM:

jayweb wrote:
I had that problem, only the other way round.

I system configuration, make sure the bit that says CHMOD value for directories to allow files to be created in them: 777

Otherwise they can change back to 755 every time you update the system configuration page, I believe.

Thanks. I actually changed it from 755 to 777 first. Then using cute ftp attempted to chmod each directory. When I went back to check that's when they were back to 755. Do you know if there is somewhere else I should change it?

ho hum, the joys of moving host and getting a vps for the first time!

babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Nov 23, 2007 - 9:20 AM:

Paul

I contacted Liquid Web tech support concerning not being able to chmod directories to 777. This is the reply I received from them...

We do not require directories or files to have 777 permissions, actually
having 777 permissions is a very insecure thign to do as it would allow
anyone to read, write or execute to the directory with those permissions.

So I assume 755 is still ok? I attached a debug above that shows the error messages concerning filefunctions.php (sorry I put tpl above instead of php).

babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Nov 23, 2007 - 9:15 PM:

Well it appears that the site was actually upgraded to 4.1.16 as the new switch double email is now there. However, it still shows me as being on 4.1.15 with an upgrade available and then throws those errors shown above in my debug attachment if I try to upgrade.

I went to run the template comparison under resources to see what I should update, but it only goes up to 4.1.0beta12

[EDIT] UPDATE: experimenting I tried to do a new install on a site (different domain), but just get the problem

Warning: ftp_login() [function.ftp-login]: Login authentication failed in /home/idealwed/public_html/setup.php on line 400
The FTP info you provided has not worked. You may need to do this manually.

I ensured that everything was correct, including that the CHMOD value for directories was 777. I tried 3 times, plus I tried changing that value to 755. Each time I get the error and it does not setup.

[EDIT] Paul, I have just sent you my log in details in case you need them. I am desperate for help on this.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Nov 24, 2007 - 8:06 AM:

babrees wrote:
We do not require directories or files to have 777 permissions, actually
having 777 permissions is a very insecure thign to do as it would allow
anyone to read, write or execute to the directory with those permissions.

Any host will say this, but their setup makes it impossible for PHP scripts to create files with any ideally secure value.

I went to run the template comparison under resources to see what I should update, but it only goes up to 4.1.0beta12

It has everything, it just doesn't sort in the way you might expect.

I ensured that everything was correct, including that the CHMOD value for directories was 777. I tried 3 times, plus I tried changing that value to 755. Each time I get the error and it does not setup.

Typing bad FTP info will kill it regardless of whether you set permissions manually.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Nov 24, 2007 - 9:51 PM:

I have now managed a new install. I found that whereas with my previous host I had to enter the IP for ftp purposes, this time I had to enter the domain name.

I then deleted all the files and dropped all the tables for britishdogbreeders.co.uk, did a new install and then restored my database and now that seems to be ok.

Do exactly the same for http://www.homeandgardenworld.co.uk and it will not install. I even deleted the database and made a new one. In the ftp info I tried the domain and the IP. All I get is....

----------
Warning: ftp_connect() [/home/homeandg/public_html/setup.php on line 399

Warning: ftp_login() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/homeandg/public_html/setup.php on line 400

The FTP info you provided has not worked. You may need to do this manually.
------------

The FTP IS correct. I have tried IP and name, I have also tried changing value to 755. I have tried so many times and so many things I am sick and tired of it!

Paul, are you unable to help me with this? Did you take a look at the debug I posted to see if you can tell what is wrong? Have you absolutely no idea?

It is driving me nuts!

Another site I have moved over is http://www.freewebbargains.com . I have just tried to upgrade that, after triple checking ftp details are correct. Still get an error message concerning filefunctions.php:

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/freewebb/public_html/includes/filefunctions.php on line 531

Warning: ftp_site() [function.ftp-site]: Could not change perms on temp/current.tar.gz: No such file or directory in /home/freewebb/public_html/includes/filefunctions.php on line 157

However, it does appear to have upgraded correctly this time and is now showing it is v. 4.1.16. The site LOOKS and appears to run ok, but I am still concerned because of these filefunction errors.

babrees
Expert

babrees
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 24, 2007 - 11:55 PM:

OK, this is how it currently stands. I THINK I now have 4 sites up and running ok. At least they APPEAR ok and I haven't had any error messages for a while.

However, I still could not do a new install on http://www.homeandgardenworld.co.uk. I then went to phpmyadmin and imported from my old server. I updated all the ftp details, I chmod specified directories to 777 (it actually retained it this time). After more errors I found out that it had not retained my chmod of the languages file to 666.

It APPEARS to be working now. I have no idea why it doesn't always retain my chmod changes. If it happens again I shall get on to LW.

I am taking the day off so will try another new install tomorrow, and hope I have a better day!

Jill
------------------
Former blonde, now bald with pulling hair out

Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 26, 2007 - 10:01 AM:

babrees wrote:
Paul, are you unable to help me with this? Did you take a look at the debug I posted to see if you can tell what is wrong? Have you absolutely no idea?

The debug simply says that permissions are wrong. If you ever need me to immediately go through and inspect your server, you know where the inspection form is and what the terms of it are. (By the way, the FTP info you emailed me doesn't work for the first one.)

Warning: ftp_site() [function.ftp-site]: Could not change perms on temp/current.tar.gz: No such file or directory in /home/freewebb/public_html/includes/filefunctions.php on line 157

Again permissions see to be off in /temp/, probably set to 755 instead of the proper 777, or the file path is wrong, or the FTP path is wrong (should be public_html probably).

babrees wrote:
I then went to phpmyadmin and imported from my old server. I updated all the ftp details, I chmod specified directories to 777

You haven't mentioned updating the file path.
babrees
Expert

babrees
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 26, 2007 - 8:14 PM:

OK, I THINK this may now be solved. It turns out that first of all there was an issue on my server with cpanel. Secondly, for some really weird reason it changed the ownership of a couple of files which meant that I couldn't chmod them! With LW now having fixed the issue and located the erroneous files I have now finally managed to chmod them and they have stayed changed!

Sorry Paul, but it is so so frustrating when you get this sort of thing.

Let us hope and pray my other sites transfer easily now <G>

Paul
developer

Paul
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 27, 2007 - 9:39 PM:

Note that when you autoupgrade on an apache-mode php the files will end up owned by the script instead of your ftp user, such that you won't be able to edit or overwrite them by ftp. You can, however, delete them by FTP and then upload a changed version... a bit annoying for me since I'm often fooling with little changes that aren't a new release yet, and can forget and not notice that my ftp client is saying "skipped" for files.

I should really try recompiling with suexec one of these days, but then I'd have to change all the preexisting files to the ftp owner (if suexec even does what I think it does).

The plus side of apache-php is that instead of mysterious 500 errors you tend to get more obvioulsy useful error messages when things go wrong.
babrees
Expert

babrees
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 27, 2007 - 10:04 PM:

Paul wrote:
Note that when you autoupgrade on an apache-mode php the files will end up owned by the script instead of your ftp user, such that you won't be able to edit or overwrite them by ftp. You can, however, delete them by FTP and then upload a changed version... a bit annoying for me since I'm often fooling with little changes that aren't a new release yet, and can forget and not notice that my ftp client is saying "skipped" for files.

I should really try recompiling with suexec one of these days, but then I'd have to change all the preexisting files to the ftp owner (if suexec even does what I think it does).

The plus side of apache-php is that instead of mysterious 500 errors you tend to get more obvioulsy useful error messages when things go wrong.

LOL! I've just sent you an email saying I have just found out that is one of the problems <G>

I have in fact just opened a ticket with LW as there are now half a dozen template files that I cannot upload. They went up fine with the first upload, but the problem arose when I tried to upload updated files. I even deleted the original and then tried, but was still denied. Oh why is life always full of frustrating hiccups!

[edit] Tech support said that they too were owned by nobody. He changed them and then I could upload.

I then did another site - no problems, it allowed me to install the program then upload my templates easily.

I then did the next site and bummer - wouldn't let me upload these files again... albums.tpl, displaylinks.tpl, edit.tpl, main.tpl, suggestcat.tpl, suggestfeed.tpl, suggestlink.tpl.

The procedure I do (same each time) Upload wsnlinks files from latest version. install. restore backup. updated system config and ftp details. ensure it is working. upload default templates. that is when I get the problem.

My trouble is that I don't know if it is an issue with the script or with the server.
babrees
Expert

babrees
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 28, 2007 - 4:45 AM:

Well, they must have set my server up on a Friday afternoon and were itching to get off!

My sites went down this morning sad As well as an issue on the cpanel they then found that a config file had not been set up right! [sigh] it could only happen to me!

Let us hope that fixes all my probs and it is all now hunky dorey! nod
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.