url rewrite adjustments in htaccess

Comments on url rewrite / server move

finsandfur
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 28
Total Comments: 103
Posted May 14, 2007 - 3:30 PM:

I just moved my WSN Links site to a new server. I made all the absolute path and database adjustments. Everything works fine except the url rewrite feature.
I had it working before the server move, but now I need it off in order for the site to function properly.
With htaccess chmoded to 666, I turn on the feature and it works as it should, BUT all other directories not part of WSN links are killed in the process.
An example is /forums. With url rewrite on, now I get this when accessing that part of the site;
<br><i>Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@finsandfur.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.</i>

Before I moved to my new server I had rewrite rules in there such as;
RewriteRule ^forums$ forums/index.php
RewriteRule ^forums/$ forums/index.php

When I do that now it kills everything, imcluding my WSN links.

I dont understand this. Anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can get my url rewrite back?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted May 16, 2007 - 4:54 PM:

You're using the auto-written .htaccess, and you've typed your extra rules in the box on the SEO page? forums is a directory directly below WSN Links?
finsandfur
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 28
Total Comments: 103
Posted May 17, 2007 - 12:56 AM:

Got this taken care of. Come to find out my host had me on a temporary server during the move and htaccess needed to be disabled for a short time.

I took that as needing to rewrite my htaccess file and turns out the original worked fine once the move had completed.

I appreciate the reply.
Jim
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.