Comments on Various problems

babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Dec 02, 2005 - 1:20 AM:

OK - Since adding the forum and then launching the site yesterday I am finding that I cannot edit links - getting either the Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 29344 bytes) in /var/www/html/links/end.php on line 211 OR an internal server error

Following my post on the other forum for integration I launched the site offering only one type of membership to get it started. I have found that periodically the registration form throws the error message that you have not completed all required fields, even though we have. I have now had somebody trying to register who keeps getting this message every time. How many others have had it and just given up and gone away?

My host states that the program is VERY resource hungry - is this normal for WSN???

My server is only 1 gig ram and a 1.7 processor. Could this be the problem???

I need to do something quick because I think I have lost customers through these problems
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Dec 02, 2005 - 4:55 AM:

Another angry customer. Paid for a link and received email that funds had run out. Sponsorship is set for 365 days on the premium link.

I have also received emails for links I submitted that are NOT premium links.

Paul - I need help urgently
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 12:13 AM:

A common cause is simply using too many toplists, or too many items per page. You can also turn off some switches to reduce memory usage -- comments, online users, private messages and instant messages all use significant ram.

Covered at scripts.webmastersite.net/w...nks/wsnmanual/articles/209

My host states that the program is VERY resource hungry - is this normal for WSN???

It uses more RAM than most scripts I think, but whether it's a problem depends on traffic and server.

As for sponsorship, you will of course have to tell me your sponsorship settings so I can reproduce them.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 12:38 AM:

Paul wrote:
A common cause is simply using too many toplists, or too many items per page. You can also turn off some switches to reduce memory usage -- comments, online users, private messages and instant messages all use significant ram.

Having only just launched I have extremely few links as yet. The only top list I had was the latest links added in the last 2 weeks - then showing 5 on the front page.

OK - I turned off top list of latest links, online users, pm and im but I still cannot edit the links

HELP what next????
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 12:41 AM:

It still says the same number of bytes attempted to allocate? Got a link?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 12:43 AM:

Also I thought you were the one I gave the edit.php memory reduction change to a few days ago, but I can't find the post anywhere.

Edit: Ah, www.webmastersite.net/forum...orums/comments.php?id=5794
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 1:37 AM:

Paul wrote:
It still says the same number of bytes attempted to allocate? Got a link?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 38796 bytes) in /var/www/html/links/templatefunctions.php on line 549

Link is...

www.thedogscene.co.uk/links...=equals&fieldvalue=188
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 1:38 AM:

Paul wrote:
Also I thought you were the one I gave the edit.php memory reduction change to a few days ago, but I can't find the post anywhere.

Edit: Ah, www.webmastersite.net/forum...ents.php?...[/quote]

Yes - and it did the trick for then. Now it is just trying to edit the links and only started when I launched the site! :-(
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 1:41 AM:

Paul wrote:
8388608 is a standard max memory size. My local WSN Links install uses around 7000000 on most pages, 7.6 meg on the edit page. So, you're using noticably more than the standard memory on the edit page.

So, how do we find out WHY I appear to be using more memory?
babrees
Expert

babrees
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 1:50 AM:

I have a feeling that this is linked to my other problem...

https://www.webmastersite.net/forums/thread/5853

And it all seems to have started when I added the forum

Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 12:22 PM:

babrees wrote:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 38796 bytes) in /var/www/html/links/templatefunctions.php on line 549

So it's using more memory now than before. What would've happened between to take up memory? More categories added perhaps? Having an oversized category selector/sitemap could cause memory-killing on the edit page.

I don't see how member system integration could possibly use memory, beyond the few bytes of the integration file.
babrees
Expert

babrees
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 1:22 PM:

I have not added any more categories than before when it was working ok.

The only thing that is different is that I set up the forum and integrated the links membership to that.

I only have 29 members and about 145 links at the moment.

I again had somebody today contact me to say they couldn't register. However, I was able to register them. Dunno how many others have tried, failed but not bothered to tell me.
babrees
Expert

babrees
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 10:06 PM:

Latest is that I uploaded the latest version. Still can't edit links and error I got just now was: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30146 bytes) in /var/www/html/links/classes/template.php on line 80

I have also had another error message, but only a couple of times when I go on to the site after not being their for a few hours:
Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /var/www/html/links/classes/database.php on line 108

I refresh and it loads normally.

Paul
developer

Paul
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 05, 2005 - 4:06 PM:

You have to be doing something to create an extra megabyte of output compared to norm.

Well, just to cut out more than 30,146 bytes to see what it is the screen is trying to show that's so huge, in edit.php temporarily change
require_once 'classes/comments.php';
to
// require_once 'classes/comments.php';

And give me a screenshot of what's filling up your edit page.

I refresh and it loads normally.

If it only happens once a day, it's probably something happening on a cron.

As for registration, if you're on the notorious PHP 5.0.5 it would've not been working before WSN 3.3.2 -- as warned in a previous thread, 5.0.5 breaks a large percentage of scripts around the internet and the locations of what it breaks have to be discovered individually over time.
babrees
Expert

babrees
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Dec 05, 2005 - 9:30 PM:

Tried to quote you Paul but it isn't working, just throws up a blank reply with no input area.

Changing the edit.php allowed me to edit a simple link (no attachments, no url) from the front end.

The links I am desperate to change are now hidden because I can't update their sponsorship and it has zeroed it. (that's not important right now, will sort that out later <G>) As I haven't had the time to look into showing hidden links I accessed it from the admin panel (search/edit) Trying to edit that link throws Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30146 bytes) in /var/www/html/links/classes/template.php on line 80

Sorry, not quite sure what screenshot you want.

I am using PHP version 4.3.10. MySQL is version 3.23.58 Main admin page shows: MySQL Stats: Uptime: 492918 Threads: 1 Questions: 464742 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 10034 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 64 Queries per second avg: 0.943 (dunno if that helps!)

As stated before - although it was slow it worked fine before adding the forum.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.